The Reach: The Prologue | Teen Ink

The Reach: The Prologue

By MrPwny BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona
MrPwny BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona

Red warning lights broke the eerie silence that had blanketed the room. Sirens wailed like their namesakes, only their music wasn’t beautiful and alluring: it was horridly sharp and loud. And I was really confused.

“Raxley,” I asked calmly as I rose from my seat, “What just happened?” Raxley, a middle-aged, brown haired man, turned around and looked me in the eyes. His eyes were strangely calm.

“What?” he yelled over the monotonous shrill of the sirens. “I can’t hear anything with these blasted sirens on!”

“What just happened?” I yelled at the top of my lungs.

Raxley turned to his computer for a second, and shouted,” There’s a break-in at Sector A, sir!”

“What are you waiting for, a formal invitation? Lock down the building now!” I commanded.

Raxley whirled his chair around on a swivel and began to type something into his computer. Then, out of the blue, the intercom system cracked to life. “Sector A locked down,” a feminine automatic voice said. “Sector B locked down.” While the voice continued to prove to us it knew the alphabet, another automated voice, this one masculine, delivered another message.

“Nuclear Self-Destruct initiated. 3 minutes and counting. All personnel please evacuate the building at once.”

“Impossible!” I yelled, if to no one but myself. “To activate the self-destruct, those men would have to be in Sector N: Nuclear Research! Unless…Raxley?”

“Yes?” he yelled from his computer workstation.

“Those things passed through the biometric sensors in Sector B, right?” He hunched over his computer, and typed in a few more commands.

“Uh, yeah” he replied coldly, without turning back to face me. My body began to pool with dread. I didn’t know why.

“Then what were those things?”

“I’m afraid I can’t tell you that,” Raxley said evilly.
“What do you mean?”
He twisted his head 180 degrees to face me, and a chill shot up my spine.

Claws. Tearing. Light Fading.

“I can’t let you disrupt our plans.”

Darkness…

-First Person information recovered from the brain of Thomas A. Robinson, esteemed scientist working for The Reach, whose entire body somehow survived the nuclear explosion that destroyed The Reach’s base in Greenland on 7.13.2089 without any apparent damage except for several deep gashes across the torso and neck inflicted by an unknown weapon or instrument.