The "Voices" | Teen Ink

The "Voices"

November 29, 2010
By xXxcutie21xXx BRONZE, Kingsland, Georgia
xXxcutie21xXx BRONZE, Kingsland, Georgia
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

I was so close, so close to being thought of as normal. I hadn’t heard the voices for weeks. Everyone thought the medication was finally starting to work. I knew otherwise. I knew it was just a sham, a hoax, a lie. It was just a matter of time, before I was back in the Mental Institution.

I went home to find all of my belongings missing, most likely burned. Everything was new. New clothes, books, furniture…everything was gone and replaced. They, my parents, got rid of everything that could lead me to the voices. What they didn’t know however, was that the “voices” weren’t random voices in my head at all. They were merely small, harmless fairies. I take after my grandmother. She was thought of as crazy too.

To me, us, we are the normal ones; those who do not do what we do are the abnormal ones. They are ones who belong in an institution. Not me.

It’s been about 2 ½ months since I last heard the voices. Even I was beginning to believe I would no longer hear the voices. Of course, it was way too good to be true. Within a few days, when I was truly starting to feel “normal”, I heard them again. They need help. They need me. However, when my parents saw me talking to a desk lamp, they dragged me back to that institution faster than I could say fairies.

For my grandmother had thought this would happen, so she planned an escape. When she did escape, she had some of her friends from the other realm, not fairies but gnomes give the plan to me in case I was ever locked in the institution as well. She and some fairies found a secret tunnel to the other realm. Ever since my grandmother escaped, I have yet to see her. I receive letters, and the fairies tell me that she’s waiting, waiting for me to come and live with her.

Now, it’s finally and truly my turn to go somewhere great! I can finally be reunited with my grandmother, with my only true family.

The author's comments:
I wrote this a while ago and was wondering if it's worth continuing. Let me know. Thanks!