Angel of Death

Any second now, I think as I watch from a distance.

It never gets easier and it never ends.

I've been doing this for so long, I don't even blink when it finally happens. There's a screech and a scream. I take a deep breath and swiftly move forward.

Graceful as ever, I make my way to the young woman. She lies in the middle of the street with her body spread out as if on a crucifix.

I kneel down beside her ragged, torn, and bloodied body. With my long, silky black hair hanging around my face like a veil, I look down on her forever-peaceful face. Her eyes are closed and I sigh a breath of relief. The eyes are too hard to look at.

I gently place my hand on her shoulder and she jolts and opens her eyes as if awakening from a nightmare. She looks at me with her pale blue eyes and I can tell instantly that she knows.

I smile sadly, almost apologetically. "Yes," I whisper and nod slowly. I help her into a sitting position, breaking her away from herself, and watch quietly as she cries into her hands.

Then standing, I glance around. People are stopped and staring. I can hear sirens in the distance, but I know that it's too late.

I tend to avoid paying any attention to the living, but for a moment I register the shock and sadness on each of their faces.

If only they knew, I am watching.

TanGem This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Whoa, 5/5! It's so creepy.

One part I'm not really into is the angel's black hair. I have black hair, so you can see why I would be biased. lol. Also, I have brown eyes, not blue, so... Idk, maybe you could change that to "dark" hair and "light" eyes so more people can relate. I don't think this would detract from your piece at all since it's all about contrasting light and dark anyways, right?

Overall, very imaginative and great job.

Raytheraym replied...
Thank you very much!