A Single Phrase | Teen Ink

A Single Phrase

By Chocaholic523 BRONZE, Herndon, Virginia
Chocaholic523 BRONZE, Herndon, Virginia

Sol looks dreamily into space, ignoring the teacher in front of her. Sighing, she places her chin on her milky white hand, not seeming to be in the world anymore. She feels a sharp jab to her side, and, snapping out of her thoughts, she turns to find the culprit. What she finds is her twin sister, Lune, in her thigh length silver, blue, and black dress and silver ballet flats, glaring at her, her silver eyes burning with a warning, telling her to pay attention.
Sol rolls her eyes, and faces the front of the class again, to see her teacher droning on about the working of their wings, and how they are able to fly. Absently twirling a lock of fiery orange hair around her white finger, she slips back into her dream, the teacher’s voice fading away. She finds herself standing in the middle of a field, surrounded by a sea of snapdragons and bluebells, the sky a bright shade of blue with wisps of white clouds scattered here and there. She spreads her wings, allowing the warm sun to wash over them and her back. She sees an object moving towards her in the distance. She flies to get a closer look, and a smile grows across her face when she sees what it is.
She lands in front of the young man, and falls into his arm. “Oh Drew, I was so scared that I would never see you again.” She murmurs, looking into his dark brown eyes, slightly covered by his messy blond hair, but he just smiles, and says nothing, but pulls her close into a tight hug.
She wraps his arms around his neck, and for a moment, she feels safe, not able to be hurt by anyone, or anything. She knew fairies couldn’t be with humans, but she didn’t care, all she knew was that she loved him, and that was all that mattered. She just wanted to be with him. She blinks, and finds herself back in the earthy classroom, sitting at her green vine gesk, and no Drew in sight. She realizes that all eyes are on her.
Her teacher, a tall, pale man with pale, bleak eyes(how he was a fairy, she had no clue), stared at her with the rest of the class. “Care to grace us with the answer, Miss Sol?” His voice was cold and slimy. “Or are you too busy dreaming about being somewhere else?”
Thinking quickly, she stands up, her red dress falling to her feet in the process, and stares right back at him to show that she wasn’t afraid of him. “Only I, who knows not all, but just enough, shall get through the hard times, for I have what you don’t.” She sits back down, her teacher with the look of confusion plastered on his face, and she tilts her head up slightly in victory.
A voice comes up from behind her. “What was that? It didn’t pertain to the question at all, and was completely random!” Others nodded their heads in agreement, but said nothing.
Yet Sol just sits there, smirking in victory, and doesn’t respond. “They don’t understand… but at least I got out of trouble!” She thinks happily to herself. “And someday soon, I’ll show them what I mean.”
The classroom continued to remain quiet, and even when class was over, the young fairies filed out silently, but Sol walked out, her head held high, and continued to her next class, completely unfazed.

A simple fairy story about a fae girl who is in love with a human, and enjoys confusing her class.