What Lies Beneath | Teen Ink

What Lies Beneath

By SonicBee626 SILVER, St-Leonard, Other
SonicBee626 SILVER, St-Leonard, Other

Never give up, never give in, never surrender, never back down. ♥

I lied down on my oversized bed, still starring at the ceiling. It’s been a week now, and he still hasn’t showed up. He and his clan had whipped out most of our kind. Luckily some of our best Warriors are still out there fighting for the humans; and for us. The Apprentices, Seekers and I, however, have been in hiding for some time now. We waited, and waited. Still no sign of help.

----------

"What do you want?" I hissed as I glared daggers at him. He simply chuckled, his ridiculous trademark grin always plastered on his face.

"I don't mean any harm, sweetheart. Just wanted to pay a visit." He trailed his hand over the fence railing that kept passing citizens from falling down into the river below.

"How long will it take you to realize that you’re all doing this in vain? You know you can’t win." I warned him. His grin widened as he looked at me.

"Is that so? Then do tell me… how did we manage to kill half your kind and get away with it, while you had us outnumbered from the beginning?” I barred my teeth in anger and lunged at him with my sword.

I swung. He disappeared. I looked behind me, and there he was, arms crossed over his chest.

“You know, you should learn to control that temper of yours.” He laughed. I simply growled.

“We have all the warriors after you and your so called crew.” I spat. “One of them will be caught. We’ll get him to talk… then we’ll come after you. Your empire will fall. One. Life. At a time…” He smirked.

“Keep believing that honey. Soon you’ll be joining the rest of these pathetic citizens.” He started as he circled me. I kept my eyes on him, resisting the urge to just rip his head off right then and there. “Why do you even protect these humans?”

“Simple. I’m not a monster like you.” His expression became blank, but I could see a tiny hint of amusement in his eyes.

“Aren’t you, Kelly? You’re just like me, after all-” I placed my blade against his throat, threatening to slice it if he said anything else.

“Get this in your head, Xenon. I am not, have not, and will NOT be like you.” I hissed. He simply smirked again and put his hands up.

“Suit yourself. Keep fooling yourself into being something else.” He said as he backed away and leaned against the railing.

“You still haven’t answered my question.” He smirked.

“What do you think I want?”

“Obviously not a fight. If you did you wouldn’t have hesitated to try and kill me when you had the chance.” I said, twisting my sword in my hand and keeping my eyes locked on him.

“Just to warn you.” His smug attitude made me sneer.

“Of what?”

“Of us.” He walked over, keeping a distance as to keep himself from getting sliced. “One way or another, this world will soon be ours, and everything will plunge into darkness... As it was always meant to be. Isn’t that what you want, Kelly?”

“No.” I snapped. “What we want and what we need are two entirely different things.” I stared down at the blade, examining the reflection.

“I want this to be over. For you and the humans to perish into eternal oblivion for what you’ve both done to our world.” I tightened my grip and closed my eyes. “What we need... is faith.” I looked up at him. “And nothing you say or do will take that away from us.” And with that, I struck.

----------

I hadn’t defeated him that day. We knew neither one of us had an advantage; if we had kept on fighting, it would have never ended. We called it quits, and saved our energy for another time. Now, as I lie here on this cold bed, starring at a broken old ceiling surrounded by caved in walls, I promise myself one thing.

We will meet again. And this time, I will win the final fight...

Something I wrote while watching various movies based on Angels and Demons, and while listening to What Lies Beneath by Breaking Benjamin.