Mermaid

Sitting on a vessel, I watch the waves go by. I’m watching-waiting-for her to appear. Fish swim hurriedly beneath the water, running from something, but what? A larger fish? Suddenly, I see her face. It is a face beautifully chiseled away by years of water friction. That face is framed by golden locks trying to float away in the current. Her eyes pierce through mine, taking hold of my soul, trying to pull me in, but I know better. I shut my eyes and shake my head, and I hear her swim away. A shard of longing slices through my heart.

The next day, as the sun struggles up from the horizon, I set my fishing pole in the water, hoping to catch my breakfast. Almost immediately, something strong yanks on my pole. I yank back, and almost like it gave up, a fish’s tail bursts forth from the water. My catch lands in my boat, but I see it is not a fish. It is her.

With the torso of a young lady and the tail of a shark, she is a dangerous catch. Her smile mocks me; her eyes try again to yank me in. She does not have to talk for me to hear her, for I already know what she wants. She wants me to throw her back and to jump in myself to follow. I sadly shake my head, pick her up, and gently set her in the water. She gives me the most sorrowful glance as she swims away.

My night is restless. Nightmares replace all my dreams. Once one heart-pounding vision is over, a much worse one follows. Her mermaid mind tricks dance along my thoughts, turning my brain to putty. I am filled with longing and misery all night, all I want is her. Three times I catch myself trying to jump off the boat, but only two times do I stop myself.

Icy black water surrounds me, and I start to drown. She swims up to me and locks me in a warm embrace. Her tail starts off hugging me, but seconds later threatens to squeeze. I don’t resist at first, but my common sense takes over and I attempt to wiggle free. She stops holding me back and uses her words instead:

“Why must you resist? We can be together…forever…” She says in a honey-sweet voice.

“No…You…You are evil…” I choke out.

“Don’t make me do this…”

I don’t give in, and she starts to turn. Her eyes turn bloodshot. Fangs explode from her mouth, and a lizard-like tongue snakes from them. I feel her tail crush my ribs. Her sweet voice is gone, replaced with one fitting a demon.

“I will devour you!” She shrieks.

“That is why I cannot be with you!” I reply

She lunges at me, but at that moment the sun rises high enough. The sunlight burns her pupils and with a scream of pain she is gone. The adrenaline I had a second ago vanishes, and the pain that was previously hid from the rush causes me to black out.

I find myself washed up on a beach of white sand. Strangely enough, my boat is right beside me. I sit up and do simple stretches, much to the annoyance of my damaged bones and muscles, and lie back down. Though I remember our last meeting all too clearly, part of me still wants to be with you.

I know how dangerous you are. But is that such a bad thing?

JettaWintryThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
"Three times I catch myself trying to jump off the boat, but only two times do I stop myself." I love this sentence SOOOO much. I really loved this, and I loved how you added a twist to the traditional "little mermaid" story. It made me second-guess swimming in the ocean!! xD Kidding. But, honestly, i really like this. The imagery was amazing, but I still don't understand WHY the guy jumped in. Was it just because of her temptation?

readaholicThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
XD Thanks!!!  I don't even remember when I wrote this (couple years ago?) so I guess it was because of the temptation, but the me of the past is gone now, so we'll never really know......oooWEEEEooooo....

Luna1 said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 12:21 am
Ooooooo... dangerous love...... very, well, dangerous. xD

Ya..dangerous love...so stereotypical, but I mainly like this article because it looks past that there mermaid sterotype...down with stereotypes!!!

i'm the bella swan of mermaids...

Day-Dreamer17 said...
Hehe, glad you wrote this, readaholic. I was curious when you told me about it, but now I kinda want to hear more. ;)

readaholic replied...
You want a Mermaid 2?  Ok...I'll write it when I'm hit with inspiration