In the Forest

The sand beneath her had a warm feel and it glittered like gold where the sunlight fell on it. The ocean sparkled - a beautiful blue in contrast to the sand- and it seemed a million sapphires were hidden in it’s mysterious depths. The waves foamed over the cold glitter creating an enchanting spectacle and their movement was so perfect it looked like each step had been choreographed by professionals. The liquid gems leaked on to the gold of the beach and waltzed vivaciously with their reluctant grainy partners.

Arianna stared at it captivated by the performance and possessed by a fierce desire to dive in. She was not dressed for a swim and she needed to concentrate on her work so she decided against it , sighing inwardly. But she so wanted to-

“You’re studying on the beach? Really? You’re such a bore!” a distinctly masculine voice woke her from her internal struggle. Arianna turned around to find herself looking into eyes the same shade blue as the ocean and realized, to her astonishment that they belonged to a boy she knew.

“Oh Alex! what are you doing here?”

“Not studying, that’s for sure.”

“Yeah very funny,” she answered, her voice thickly layered with sarcasm.

“Not only is she boring, Arianna also exhibits overly defensive/ hostile behavior when confronted about it,” Alex said assuming the role of a psychiatrist ;“taking notes” on an imaginary clip board.

She had thought he was a recluse based on what he was like at school that day but he seemed loquacious enough all of a sudden…but now that he was talking she wasn’t sure if she had preferred the mute version of him.

“Oh I’m the hostile one?I don’t recall me walking away as soon as anyone tried to start a conversation…no who was that?" She arranged her features in a thoughtful expression for a moment. "Yeah I remember! That was you."

Alex mouth was screwed up as if he were trying very hard not to burst out laughing.

“So I don’t wanna listen to your girly chit-chat suddenly that’s a federal offense?’’ he countered, a defiant smile playing on his lips.

“Whatever.” she muttered, turning to her book again. First two words that come to mind when describing Alex: annoying and rude.

Why had she been thinking about him again?

There was a moment of complete silence in which all Arianna could hear was the sound of birds chirping in the background and the whisper of water as it carelessly stroked her bare feet. The cool sensation was a welcome relief in the sweltering heat of the midday sun.

Arianna determinedly stared at the words printed in her book, not really comprehending their meanings- or paying attention- but successfully ignoring the tall figure that stood beside her. She was not in the mood to argue and since that seemed to happen a lot with Alex she thought it best to pretend he was not there at all. It had been working for a few short minutes when suddenly Alex made an attempt at the “chit-chat” he apparently resented.

“So how’re you liking school this year?’’

“It’s no different from last so far..” she answered without bothering to look up at him.

“Yeah, well high school's all the same, isn't it?” and with that he dived into the ocean- without even bothering to take off the glossy, expensive-looking leather jacket he wore!

“Hey! Are you crazy you’ve ruined all your clothes?!” Arianna asked incredulously as he came up for air.

“Ruined?” he laughed “They’re clothes Arianna they’ll dry up…come on in!”

“Err yeah you do know what water does to leather right?”

Alex even looked at her with a rebellious sort of look on his face.

“Come on!” he repeated grinning as he sent a stream of water at her.

Arianna smiled slightly, turning back to her work,

“No not right n-”

But the rest of her words were lost to her as she felt a sharp pain course through her. Her vision blurred and her eyelids drooped. She felt like she’d fallen asleep and was already lost in a nightmare and all she could see was a velvet-black, vacant darkness. There was no escape, no way out and the world was a place devoid of feeling; bleached of colour. The warmth of the sand had been abruptly enveloped in a sickening cold and Arianna felt the iciness wash over her with the force of a tide, pulling her under, deeper and deeper…

blackmist said...
Good work! I could picture it well.

NightWriter replied...
Sept. 23, 2010 at 6:14 am
Thank you!

Ruby_flames. said...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 6:57 am
Beautifully written! :)

NightWriter replied...
Thanks =D!

BrightBurningCampeador This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really cool! Good writing, good story. Please post some more of it!

NightWriter replied...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 6:15 am

Thanks so much!=D

I plan to soon as I've gotten a bit further with the editing!