Serenity | Teen Ink

Serenity

August 8, 2010
By nightlydancer SILVER, Bellbrook, Ohio
nightlydancer SILVER, Bellbrook, Ohio
7 articles 12 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Always remember to never forget."


Serenity.

Yes there she is, still sitting on the windowsill, where I had left her. The moonlight shimmers on her skin, giving it an illusion that the light was passing though her. She’s so unreal. She sits as still as a statue, her chest doesn’t move with breath, she doesn’t shiver in the cold wind that drafts through the room. It ruffles her long, wavy, blue tinted hair.

I huddle underneath the blankets on my bed, fighting the urge to hid under my covers and try to believe this is all a dream. Only a dream. But it’s not, I’ve already woken up twice, and there she is always waiting, I didn’t ask her to stay, but still, she stays. Remembering. I think she’s trying to remember something that has evaded her.

At the moment she doesn’t seem capable of moving, or even speaking. She’s so calm, and so pictureus. I think back on her earlier words.

We were standing, her by the same window, and me on the other side of the bed. I had just told her to leave. “Go back to where you were or what ever you were doing before you decided to complicate my life.” Those were my actual words. She had stood there, motionless, speechless, a statue. Now that I think back on it she was probably processing, my words, coming up with appropriate responses. The one I got boggled my brain.

Her lips parted slightly and moved forming words but no sounds. Her eyes were shiny, with no pupils, only her bright blue irises. She blinked, all human actions, but the way she preformed them made them seem alien and otherworldly. She finally formed words, words that obviously wasn’t a prepared response. She was at a lost and confused. So like humans, she babbled until she cam across what something she could grasp on to. When she found it, she gripped it like a lifeline.

“You don’t know me. Don’t even try to imagine what I can do because I am beyond your comprehension. Version 7.510 sent to assist you in all manner of things. The Professor created me, but failed to give me a purpose, other than to assist you. So I fumble with all aspects of time, of ‘living’.” These words confused me. Was she introducing herself to me or just, thinking aloud, or what ever whatever she does is called? She gave me no chance to question, for she continued on, her melodic voice growing with accusation, as she continued she monologue.

“Now, when I finally come to you to complete my one and only task. You have the gall to tell me that you don’t need me. That you don’t want me!” If those eyes could show emotion, if she could have emotions, I would have sworn that she was miserable at the thought. “I am not equipped with the programs to deal with rejection. I am perfect there are no flaws in my system. Rejection is impossible!

“Improbable, the statistic of it is thousand to one. Then the probability of me to come across this thousandth exclusion, it ups it to a million to one. And for you, assuming you are the exception, the very fact that I was assigned to you. It is too improbable to be coincidental.

“We were made to meet, so it must be intended that you will reject me.” Her voice perked up, she had caught something, made it fit to in to her logic. “Thus, I must have the correct software to deal with this situation. For I am made to overcome all! The rest of my intelligence must not have been fully loaded correctly.” She paused looking up at me, those eyes, that can’t possibly be showing me emotion, shown with the power and pain of her conclusion. “ I am incomplete?”



I sigh loudly, Her head flicked towards me immediately. Those simulated eyes pierced though the gloom to meet mine. She rose immediately and appeared at the side of my bed. She leaned over me, touching my cheek. “Is there anyway I can assist you, Master.”

I sat up in bed at the sound of that. She withdrew her hand, holding it up to her chest. Shaking my head, I reached out and pulled her down onto the bed next to me. I felt bad making her stand while I sat. She resisted for a second then complied quickly. She was strong I could feel it, in the split second she resisted, she could have fought but it seemed she was at my will. I played with the thought of kissing her, my mind shivered at the thought of having her. I started to hit my head, as though physical action could dispel such a delectable thought from my mind.

She stopped me, her hand darted out and clasped onto my wrist. She held on for only long enough to make sure that I would not continue on with my self-affliction of violence. She dropped my hand back into my lap. “Can I aid you in any other way?” Her voice echoed through the shadowy room, as I continued to stare at my hand. Her skin had been warm, slightly cooler than human temperature, but still warmer than a machine. It had been hard but still could give way to pressure.

“Y-yes,” I stumbled over my words thinking once again of all the way she could assist me. “Your name.” I finally got out. She tilted her head to the left, her hair tumbling out in front of her face, it went blank and it became shockingly obvious that she was not genuine.

“My databases show no results that correctly match your orders.” Her eyes seemed to stare right through me, focusing on something else. A screen, maybe, that showed her the search results. “Could you refine your orders, so I may better serve you, Master.” I stared at her taken aback.

“Refine my orders?” I asked vaguely aware that my gaze was traveling across her faultless body again. “All I asked was what your name is?” My gaze snapped back up to her face. “Can you not perform the simplest of tasks and tell me what your name is.”

“I am sorry,” She bowed her head, before me. “Forgive me, master. I cannot retrieve these records. My communication systems are making me aware that I am on a restricted access to my complete information bases.” Her head came up and her eyes refocused on me, “I have failed you, in the first task you asked of me.”

I reached out as though to touch her face in comfort, but I pulled my hand back abruptly. She glanced down at my hand for a second, her eyes moved back to my face. Her features set in ideal vision of remorse. It pulled on my heartstrings. Everything about her is just right. Ideal. The image of perfection, “ You have not failed me, not truly. We shall just have to give you a name. I can’t go calling you v. 7.510. It is not practical.”

“You wish to name me?” Her voice filled with artificial surprise. “”Upon naming me you accept me. Your earlier rejection will be annulled. You understand the consequences correctly, Master?”

“Yes I understand and I acknowledge that I am creating a bond between us. And with that information I name you Serenity.” I said calmly, I had been thinking about it since I first set eyes on her, then especially after I say her in the moonlight like this now. She has such a peaceful aura about her.

“Serenity,” She said slowly as though savoring the word, “I am adding this information to my top priority levels, Master.”

“No!” I said forcedly. Her head jerked to the side as though I had done the equivalent of slapping her.

“I am sorry, Master!” Serenity cried, “Master, punish me as you see fit. I shall never make the mistake again, Master.” I internally cringed each time she said it.

“You are so naïve for an omniscient computer.” I said trying to add a tone of playfulness to my voice. “I do not wish to be called Master. My name is Donatien. That is what you are to call me. Now let us sleep.”

“Yes, Donatien. I will go into hibernation.”