Full Moon

The moon. Mother, oppressor, bane. Hanging in the sky, a pregnant omen, she calls to me, tempts me into my other self. Her gravity, now, seems stronger. Her pull, soon, I will not have the power to deny. I would not be what I am without her, and for this, I both love and hate her. She makes me stronger, my Selene, as she ripens and grows ponderous in her kingdom of the sky.
Hanging by a single gossamer thread, and surrounded by her ever-burning children, she holds domain over my brethren and I. Under her influence, we transform, casting off the chains of the mundane and running free, as all are meant to. We run free of our humanity, of our trepidation, and it is raw, and glorious. We are the Two-Souled. The forest is our empire, and the bewitching, delicate, deadly Selene is our Goddess. We could rule the world. We could liberate the earth, and make the One-Souled as we are.
But we do not. Our life is not for you. We are free, as beasts are free, but only because we ARE beasts. The Two-Souled are no more than vessels created for the entertainment of the capricious goddess. Our senses are greater than yours, but so are our impulses. We are beasts who do not care to know Right from Wrong. There is only survival, and dominance and submission mark our society. You are either prey or protected. Hope that you are protected, pray that we do not cross you under the influence of the moon.
No one comes willingly to this life. There are accidents, though, and there are those who would force others. The victims often do not make it past their first transformation. The wolf within kills them-- they are too weak. Some go insane, because the call of the moon lies too heavily upon their shoulders. These are the weak-minded, who should have stayed with the One-Souled in the first place. They kill, they slaughter, and then, in their turn, they are hunted down.
There is much death within the ranks of the Two-Souled. I'm sure it would be simpler to say that we are vicious, but we are not. It is in the nature of the beast to be apathetic, but we do have laws. A child is not to be brought into the moon's grasp- they never survive the transformation as they are not strong enough yet. The One-Souled must not learn of us. You must not take the unwilling. A Two-Souled must not be captured; it is either escape or death. The only punishment is death. One of the Two-Souled is far too powerful to be left to go renegade.
The One-Souled need not fear us; we will stay to the shadows and hunt only other beasts. We will live among you, and run with our Wolf Brothers. We will obey the Alpha, and abide by the moon. But do not be foolish, even knowing this; a wild animal remains always, in its heart, wild, and we are nothing more than beasts, ourselves.

BFG...BigFriendlyGingerxx said...
Jul. 19, 2010 at 11:53 am
Love the way you portray werewolves :) Amazing <3 xx

mudpuppy said...
I'm not into werewolves, but your story is so griping. You have a gift for description and personification.

AriaLabyrinth said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 3:16 am
This is very well written. I truly hope you'll form it into a series or a longish short story. I love, love, love the metaphors. :)

AriaLabyrinth replied...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 3:18 am
Whoops! I meant make, not form. I don't know where 'form' came from. lol.

Hekate replied...
Thanks so much :)