Mouseus, Conqueror or Cats | Teen Ink

Mouseus, Conqueror or Cats

May 26, 2010
By Elyse BRONZE, Severn, Maryland
Elyse BRONZE, Severn, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Down from the clouds, scurrying down the bare mountainside came Mouseus. He was son of the great God of cheese, Cheddarificus, and he was on a quest. The winds whipped at his sleek fur, pulling on his ears and tail, urging him to turn back, turn back or be killed. Mouseus, Son of Cheddarificus, was sent to slay the dreaded beast Furryous. Mouseus had a vision in his sleep the night before, the greatest of the Gods, Whiskerios, had spoken to him and named him as the slayer of Furryous, the Cat of Death. Upon awakening, Mouseus was terrified, but knew Furryous had to be stopped, and he had been chosen by the greatest of the Gods. He could not refuse.



Mouseus traveled for days, through storms of lightening, the sky flashing with malice overhead, through pitch dark forests, with glowing eyes staring out from beyond the slim path he was traveling. He finally came to a vast desert. No mice would dare go into the desert, it was a death sentence. The great beast lay just beyond it, past the scorching sands; this was the land the Cat of Death called home. Mouseus knew he couldn’t pass this desert and live, so he prayed to Whiskerios for strength, and his prayers were answered. Though he traveled many miles and nearly died in the horrid desert, Mouseus found himself at last near the layer of Furryous.





The clouds darkened overhead, thunder cracked in the sky, and then finally, the rain came. It poured down like tears from the heavens, as if the Gods were already mourning for the soon to be dead young mouse. Mouseus trembled as he was slowly soaked with rain and sick with fear. But Whiskerios was watching from above, and he gave strength to his champion, strength and wit enough to defeat the beast that had terrorized the mice people for so long. Mouseus felt renewed with strength, and bravely ventured forth, into the cave of the beast.




The cave was black as night, littered with the rotting bones of the victims of Furryous, the scent of death and despair was tangible in the air. As Mouseus continued his descent into the cave, he heard a low roar reverberating off the dank walls of the cave the beast called home. The young mouse ignored the warning and bravely marched directly into danger. Suddenly, the roaring changed from low, to high and wild, a shrieking like none other, one to be heard for miles around, one that made the Earth shake, one that was filled with blood thirst and murder. Mouseus ran the rest of the way, straight into the passageway containing the beast. Finally, Mouseus spotted the one they called the Cat of Death. He was huge, far bigger then Mouseus, his snow white fur stuck out in all directions, furry and wild. He was covered in battle scars, with one torn ear, and he wore a patch over one eye, a scar clearly visible from under the scrap of fabric. Mouseus was instantly terrified, but his mind was clear and his body still strong. The cat swiped his paw at Mouseus, razor sharp claws protruding from it, claws that were still stained with blood from his latest kill. Barely dodging the claws, Mouseus flung himself behind a bolder nearby for protection. Fluffyous roared a horrible roar, angered that his prey had escaped him. The great beast dove for the boulder, but he couldn’t squeeze his large furry body into the small gap, so he reached in his great paw to try to claw his small opponent once more. As he ducked away from the paw, an idea struck Mouseus. He pulled out his small, sharp sword and once the cat reached down once more to try to snatch him out from behind the rock, the small mouse thrust the sword straight through the great paw with all his might, pinning it to the rock. The cat yowled a scream of pain that made the whole cave shake. Not wasting another minute, Mouseus ran out from behind the boulder and retrieved a giant and very sharp bone from the cave floor. He grasped the bone tightly and pierced the beast right in the heart. After his reign of terror, Fluffyous, the Cat of Death, finally fell.





Mouseous made he long trek back home, telling all the mice along the way that the time of fear was over, the beast was dead. Happiness ensued as he spread the news all over the land, finally to return home and tell his father, Cheddarificus, God of Cheese, about what he had done. Upon hearing the news, his father was so overjoyed and had never been more pleased with his young son. He immediately dubbed his son, Mouseus, Conqueror of Cats. Mouseus was a hero and was married off to the beautiful Goddess, Mouseynthia. He now held a place of honor; he had become a god himself.

The author's comments:
I wrote this epic poem because we were studying them in English class, I thought it would be slightly humorous to make it about cats and mice rather the warriors and monsters.