Too Late

April 4, 2010: The day all our lives changed forever. It was a regular Friday night. Jessica and I were driving to the diner, like we always did. Danny and Kayla were in the back seat. We were cruising down Sunrise highway and then the sky went dark. Then, a clear blue light pierced the sky. A large craft lowered its self in front of us. We stopped and got out.
Jessica turns to me: “What’s that sweetie”. “I don’t know, honey,” I respond. The object comes closer. Little landing gear lowers and touches the ground. A small hatch opens on top. A robot with red eyes climbs out and starts towards us. “I’ve seen him before. In a dream I had,” says Danny. I whisper to him, “And what happens next?” “I woke up.”
It walks up to me and says “Hello, How are you?” It puts its hand out in friendliness. I notice a small green circle on the palm of the hand. I begin shake its hand. I feel a sudden shock as I approach the hand. I see the circle turn from green to red. I withdraw my hand and take a step back. I feel frightened and walk back to my car. The others quickly follow. We get in the car and I try to start it. It won’t. The robot walks closer to the car. I keep trying but nothing happens. I begin to panic. He comes by the door. He opens it and drags me out of the car. I look up at the sky and see other crafts landing. In the corner of my eye, I see Jessica run toward us and jump on the robot’s back. Other robots come running to their friend’s rescue. I black out.
April 6, 2010: I find myself on a table with lights blinding my eyes. I can’t feel my feet. I sit up to find that they are attached to a machine. All of a sudden I slide toward the machine. I look to my right and I see the robot from the other day, his big red eyes staring into mine. I panic but it’s no use. The machine stops. I see my feet and knees being moved into a large tank with other body parts. I try to get free but I’m stuck and can’t get out. I see a large surgical knife on a tray next to the table. I get it and cut my thighs free from the device. The robot lunges at me but I cut his head off before he can reach me. I see Jessica in the room next to me and make my way there and cut her legs free. We both scoot through the halls just to find the exit. I push open the door and we find ourselves in the middle of the island of Aruba. The people around us look like they just saw a ghost. Blood was pouring out of our legs and I found a towel to wrap them up. We go to the airport and find a flight home. As we enter the plane, there is an announcement in the airport. I turn around and see two guards approach us. As they get closer, I see that their eyes are bright red. Jessica and I start moving quickly.
It was too late.

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 8:53 am:

This was awesome, just one question--too late for them or the robots?  But excellent job!  Keep writing!

Btw, will you check out and comment on my work?

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 10:37 am:
This is a cool idea- if I were you i'd expand on the story and add more detail so it doesn't all happen so quickly. that'd give people time to absorb it and it'd be more suspenseful. but good idea overall!

brainiac said...
Jun. 18, 2010 at 9:41 pm:
Awesome!! What's next?!