The Freer | Teen Ink

The Freer

By Kaitlyn_Faith SILVER, Edgewood, Texas
Kaitlyn_Faith SILVER, Edgewood, Texas

The whole fairy world rejoiced this night, for tonight the one that was to save their world was to be born this night.
No one knew that the baby had already been born and that they were cleaning her up, no one even knew that the baby’s mother had died in child birth.
All anyone knew was that this was the night that marked the beginning of a new era, the one where the fairies would be freed from the cruelty and harshness of the Dark Elves.
***
I walked swiftly down the street, my hair bouncing and my arms swinging. I had seen a group of men staring at me like I was a supermodel walking down the street naked or something.
I then turned on my heel to the left and walked down the alleyway that led to my house. I saw the door to my house and I took out my key and, after glancing both ways, I opened the door and let myself in.
I walked into the house to see a man standing in the stairway. Then I screamed in surprise when I realized that it was one of the men that had been staring at me on the way back from the store.
"Alecia, do not fear me. I am here to train you to be the champion of the fairy army. I know how this must seem very overwhelming, but this is why you were born. You are to do battle in less than a day. You will battle the Dark Elves's champion. I already have inside sources that are telling me that you are to face a Cyclopes."
He then turned and walked up the stairs, but I said quite loudly, "and what if I refuse to accept this?"
He turned to look at me and he shook his head as if to say, “There is no refusing your destiny.”
So, instead of arguing I just followed him upstairs where we spent the next 12 hours training for the battle that could possibly end my life. We trained for everything, we used sticks so that I could learn to sword fight, and he even taught me to do flips and things over even the tallest of men.
After training he wouldn't let me sleep so that I wouldn't forget all that he taught me.
We trained through the night and when I finally was about to pass out from pure exhaustion, he gave me a drink that was gold and was sparkling. I drank, not thinking about the consequences of my actions and he murmured softly, "I am so sorry princess."
Then I blacked out.
**
When I woke up I saw that I was in a tent with a bunch of men. They were discussing battle tactics and I stood up and walked over to them. They all looked at me in awe, and I just rolled my eyes.
"Okay, now that we've all stared at me for the last 5 minutes I need to know what the hell I'm supposed to do out there. I know how to fight, but I need to know what to do after that."
I beat my wings im.... Wait!! I have wings??? I focused on making my face stay impatient while I remembered that the drink I drank had made me a fairy.
They cleared their throats and then launched into a full account of what I had missed and what I was to do. I just barely listened to what they were saying as I prepared myself to fight.
Then a page came running in and said, “They are here! You must fight now.”I took a deep breath and then followed the page out of the tent and into the field where I was to fight the Cyclopes.
I closed my eyes and I felt the man that had trained me take my hands. “Alicia, my name is Alex… I’m not sure if you remember me...” I cut him off by getting on my tiptoes and kissing him on the lips.
“Yes, I do remember you Alex. I will you see after the fight.” I whispered as I lowered myself to the ground. He took in a deep breath and then he put a sword into my hands and said quietly, be careful.
I smiled at him and then got up on my tiptoes and put my arms around his neck and whispered, “I always am.” Then I turned and ran toward where the Cyclopes were. I decided I was going to try out my new wings. I jumped into the air and started beating my wings slowly, like a butterfly and I lifted into the air quickly.
I smiled to myself and then I circled to the back of the Cyclopes and I kicked the back of his head to get his attention and then I flew around him and sliced open his arm. Then I thrust my sword foreword aiming for his heart and then he fell over backwards and then I felt a gust of wind under me and I saw a man from the other side and I let myself drift downwards so that I was standing in front of him.
“Hello.” I said before we started sword fighting and I slowly let my eyes drift closed as I fought and then I realized that I had hit something and when I opened my eyes I had killed about 10 men and I looked around wide eyed.
The fight was over and I won! I beat the Cyclopes thing and all of the men too! I was buzzing with adrenaline and all the men were huddled around me telling me how good I did and telling me their favorite parts of what I did.
The Dark Elves were just sitting there unable to believe that I had won as a 5' tall girl that barely weighed a hundred pounds.
Now all that I could think about was the fact that I had freed the fairy people. I was jumping up and down and laughing until I started crying. Alex came over to me and I stood on my tiptoes and wrapped my arms around his neck.
Alex then picked me up and spun me around in a gigantic circle and, just like I used to, I giggled.
Then my mind flashed back to when the last day I saw him and I felt my body go limp.
**
I walked toward him cautiously. He could be extremely scary when he was angry. I took a deep breath then I looked at his face.
“Alex? Are you okay? What happened? Did I do something again? I’m sorry. Please don’t be mad at me…” I was about to say something, but he put his hands on either side of my face and pulled it up so that I was looking at him.
“Alice, I am not mad at you, I swear.” He looked me in the eyes and when I ripped my head from his hands he looked as if he were pissed off even more.
That’s when I started crying. I just started sobbing, I had no clue why, but I did. He then sat down again and he pulled me into his lap.
“Babe don’t cry. I’m sorry. Please just don’t... jus… just… I gotta get outta here. Goodbye babe.” He said and then he walked out on me and he just left me in the back room of the club and he just let me sit there crying as if I had never meant anything to him.
**
I felt fresh tears falling down my face, I hadn’t cried since that day. I had sworn to myself that I wouldn’t cry until I saw him again, and until I knew that he loved me, and now I was crying again and I had no reason for it I just knew that I was crying.
I felt myself hit the ground and I heard footsteps running away from me and I knew that I was dying. I had to be, I wanted to die now. If he wasn’t going to stay with me then there was no point in living.
I felt my eyes roll back in my head then and I saw my life flash before my eyes and then I realized that I was having a seizure and it must be a pretty long one if Alex had even run away from me.
Then I felt myself being lifted off of the ground, and then felt myself being set in a comfy bed.
I opened my eyes and saw that Alex was standing at the window looking outside, his eyes red and puffy around the edges and then I saw tears rolling down his face.
I stood up and walked over to him. “Alex. Are you okay? What happened? Did I do something again? I’m sorry. Please don’t be sad because of me…” Then just like that I was repeating what had happened the day he left me.
He took my face into his hands and tilted my face up toward him. “Alecia, don’t worry about me. I… I made you cry and so now I deserve to cry.” Even though his words said that he wanted to walk away, he sat down on the bed and pulled me into his lap. I layer my head on his chest and said, “Alex, please don’t leave me again. I couldn’t stand it if you left me again. I can’t deal with it. I’m not strong enough… I…” He murmured, “Shh” into my hair and I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.
Then I leaned up and kissed him. Not just a peck, not just a murmur of a kiss, but a real kiss, a kiss like we were having a whole conversation and before I knew it his hands were in my hair, on my face, and then his shirt was off and my hands were trailing up and down his chest.
That’s when I decided it had gone far enough. I leaned back and pecked his lips and then I giggled little girlishly and I felt my face flush more than it already had.
Alex smirked and then stroked my face softly, as if admiring the pinkness of my skin. I smiled a bit and looked down at my fading comforter.
Alex then said, “Alice, you are to come with me. You are to be the queen of the fairy people, if you want to that is. I’m the king, that’s why I left you. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner. I should have and I’m sorry, but I’m trying to make it up to you, I honestly am. Alice I guess what I’m asking is if you will marry me and be my queen.”He looked at me and in my shock I looked up at him and looked into his eyes.
Then I felt tears enter my eyes as I wrapped my arms around his neck, then I pulled back and looked at him and a smile took over my face.
“Alex, it would be an honor to be your queen.” I said and then I kissed him.
**
I paced the floor in my wedding dress and high heels as I tried to prepare myself to the biggest thing of my life. Today is my wedding day. They had my hair fixed in a complicated way along with my makeup. I had to keep reminding myself to breathe and then I heard a knock on the door. I took a deep breath and then said, “Come in.”
I heard the door open and then I felt Alex’s arms go around my waist and his put his chin on my head.
“You look amazing. Are you almost ready to be mine forever?” He said quietly and I turned around to face him.
“Alex, I’ve been ready for this day since the day that we started dating. “ Then I pecked his lips one more time before saying, “Now go before you get in trouble for being in here!” I smiled and then he left the room at a slow jog.
The next thing I knew I was walking down the aisle, surrounded by Alex’s friends and family. I kept walking, even though I heard many gasps and whispers rippling around me from the fact that I was walking down the aisle by myself.
No brother, no father, no anything. I have no family, I’ve lived alone since I was 13 and I’m 23 now.
When I reached the end of the isle where Alex and the priest were standing I put my right hand in Alex’s and he intertwined our fingers and we repeated everything that the priest told us to. When it time for the I dos Alex took a familiar looking ring out of his tux and slipped it on my finger as he said I do, and then the maid of honor handed me Alex’s ring and as I said I do I slipped it on his finger and that’s when I recognized the ring. It was the ring that I had seen in the pawn shop that one day almost 5 years ago, back when me and Alex were dating.
I had told him how beautiful it was and then when we had walked out of the store he had told me to go ahead and go on home and that he’d be back soon. Now I realized that he had done that so he could buy it for me. Tears then filled my eyes as if I were about to cry.
Then the priest told Alex, “You may now kiss your bride.”
Alex then kissed me and I kissed back and kicked my leg up in the hair like they said that I should.
Then he pulled back and took my hand, leading me out of the chapel and to the limo that was waiting outside for us. On the back it read, “Just Married.”
We went up to the castle that was now ours and they immediately initiated me as the queen.
**
It’s been 2 years since we first got married and now I’m pregnant. I am about 8 ½ months along now, and I only have about a week until I give birth to my baby girl. I am so excited, but I’m terrified at the same time.
I remember that my mom died giving birth to me and I just can’t seem to put it out of my head at my head at the moment. Alex is worried about me too, he refuses to admit it, but I can tell by the way he looks at me.
**
Today I went into labor. I’ve been in labor for the last 8 hours now and the doctors say that I should give birth within the next 30 minutes.
**
They pull me into the delivery room and put my legs up into those deals that hold your legs up and apart.
Alex is standing beside me holding my hand and I’m terrified. I’m shaking so bad that I can barely hold Alex’s hand.
Then the doctor tells me to push and so I do, I push as hard as I can and I scream, because it hurts so bad.
Then I hear my baby girl screaming, and the pain goes away and I see Alex take her into his arms and I know that everything is exactly how it should be.

I wrote this initailly for a contest, but I decided to post it on here too.
Please leave a comment telling me what you think.