It Blinked | Teen Ink

It Blinked

June 14, 2010
By Kagi_Neko BRONZE, Prairie Village, Kansas
Kagi_Neko BRONZE, Prairie Village, Kansas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are going to die. You can't stop it."
- Unknown


There I was, sitting in my seventh hour English class. My teacher was droning on as usual, about what I can't remember. I never pay attention in English simply because the subject is easy. It was almost 2:50, and the class was released at 2:54. Staring at the clock as bored as could be, I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. I could've sworn the boring clock face moved, that eyes and a face were growing from it. Curious, I glanced around at some of the other kids in my class. One of my best-friends was still sitting in his seat, looking like he was about to fall asleep. And he noticed everything! My eyes wandered to the seat behind him and saw another of my friends, who was silently packing his books up so he could make a quick escape to his last hour. I shook my head, and flicked one of my curls from my eyes before risking a glance up at the clock again. It's eyes were staring at me. It was as if the clock looked right through me, but saw me at the same time. It winked, and I gave a little jump. The boy behind me laughed quietly and poked my back with his pencil. I whipped around to glared at him.
"I'm not afraid of some geeky girl." He muttered. So I crossed my eyes at him and turned around. It had to be time to leave, right? But when i looked up at the clock once more, I could see it's white teeth. It was smiling at me. My heart began beating a little faster, and I could swear it spoke.
"Having fun?"
But the trusty bell saved me. I grabbed my binder and book like the room was on fire and rushed out into the crowded hallway. Safe at last.

The author's comments:
Well, my cousin introduced me to this site, and a writing prompt site as well. And one of the prompts was start a story with the words 'And then the clock blinked.' Well, I didn't start the short story with those words, but it turned out alright, didn't it?