Of Course | Teen Ink

Of Course

By GrayGriffin GOLD, Hsinchu, Other
GrayGriffin GOLD, Hsinchu, Other

"Excuse me, are you Mr. Smith?" asked the deliveryman, straining to get a better look at the person who stood within the house, just out of the reach of the sunlight. The door itself was barely open.

"Of course," was the reply. The deliveryman shrugged. He had no idea who Mr. Smith was, but this person gave him the creeps. He quickly shoved a package through the opening, then began to back away quickly. Not too quickly, though, since he didn't want to seem scared...

"How nice," said the man, closing the door and opening the box. He smiled slightly, upon seeing the bills packed inside it. A letter on the very top...? He opened it with some curiousity, not really expecting anything.

"Dear Mr. Smith," he read out loud. "Your father has sadly passed away in his sleep. He wished you to have half of his fortune, and we have delivered it to you through a trusting deliveryperson."

The man snorted and pushed the money away. "Typical human insensitivity." Turning to the drained corpse on the ground, he smiled. "Isn't that nice? Your father's gone to join you. I'm sure the two of you will have a great time together."

Later that night, a window slid open, and a bat flittered out, flying into the woods out of sight.