Another Angel (Prologue)

Fifteen years earlier

It was a stormy night in New York City, and most people where at home with their families discussing the day. The people who were outside were rushing home and didn’t notice a young woman with a bundle in her arms. The woman had wavy blonde hair, and light blue eyes. She was sitting on the curb talking to the bundle. As it began to rain harder more people went inside, but the young woman stayed on the curb, talking to the bundle. Soon the bundle began to wail and the young woman stood up so suddenly that she almost ran into a businessman. “Hey! Watch it!” the man said.

“Sorry.” The woman mumbled, then sat back down rocking and talking to the bundle, who’s wailing had receded into a faint whimper. “Don’t worry, I’ll find a safe home for you, they will never find you.” She jumped when she felt a tap on her shoulder; it was a woman, not much older than her. She looked concerned.
“Do you need a place to stay? You and your baby can stay with me.” The young woman looked at her eyes. She had brown eyes. Brown eyes were good. Brown eyes were safe. They were human. “Honey, did you hear me? Are you okay?”
The bundle started to wail, yet again, and the woman held it out to the friendly stranger, “I don’t need a place to stay, but my daughter does.”
The stranger silently took the baby girl from the woman and cradled her, “Have you named her?” she asked softly.
“Yes, her name is Serissa Dare.” The young woman stood up and walked away.

charmiypiggy said...
Feb. 10, 2011 at 2:52 am
This sounds interesting, and I would definitely like to read more. However, there are a couple of mistakes int here that could be corrected. Also, I recommend that you follow iDogcrocker's advice. If you would like me to edit this piece as well, please let me know. 

iDogrocker said...
I'd love to see more about this. My only recommendation for you is to really focus on showing, not telling. For instance, when you talk about the woman's wavy blonde hair and light blue eyes, you're telling the reader what your character looks like. Let them imagine by their own by doing something like this: The street lamps made her hair shine gold, and glinted off of the icy, but kind eyes. You're not telling what she looks like, but the reader gets it anyway. 

burnt-toast said...
I really really enjoyed this, I definitly want to know what's going on... I'm so intrigued! If this was a full length novel Im pretty sure i'd sit down and read it... good job.

burnt-toast said...
i loved this, please post more! i'm so intrigued.. I need to know whats going on :) hell, if this was a full length novel i'm pretty sure i'd sit down and read it!

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I want to read more!  Let me know if you post anyhting else, please!

renthead101 said...

thanx...i will

lol101 replied...
this is soo good!! i cant wait to read more of it

jessi said...
YES! please post more! whats up with the "brown eyes" being human? also, why does this woman take teh baby with no questions asked? post more please!! =)

lifeisajourney This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 1:45 am
this is really good