A Semi-Negative Day | Teen Ink

A Semi-Negative Day

By Dougie SILVER, Waynesburg, Ohio
Dougie SILVER, Waynesburg, Ohio

Hello. My name is Dougie. I'm talking to you from beneath the grave. It all started (and ended for that matter) on a cold November morning. Friday the 13th to be exact. The snow was knee high, and the roads glistened with ice. The phone rang once, twice, three times then Mom answered it.
“Dougie, telephone,” she yelled up the stairs.
“I'll be right there,” I shouted back. I got out of bed and ran downstairs. I took the phone from Mom.“Hello?”
“Where's My Paper!?” said a voice.
“Oh sorry, I didn't start yet,” I said. “I'll get on it now.”
“Ya better. I'm callin' The Repository and telling 'em how late I got the paper today.”
“Okay, whatever, bye.” I hung up.
“Who was it?” my brother Mike asked.
“One of our loving customers,” I joked.
“Why did they call?” Mike asked.
“They want us to deliver now.”
“But it's 5:30 in the morning,” he whined.
“I know, but lets get it done.”
Mike and I rolled the papers up and left on bikes to deliver them. We found out how slippery the roads were the hard way. About halfway through the route, I slipped and hit my head on the pavement, which caused a concussion. No one was around to help me so I sucked it up and finished the route anyways.
On the way home, I was riding a zigzag trail on the sidewalk while watching the headlights of passing cars reflect off the ice on the road. The next passing vehicle was going to be a Semi. It began to turn but it slipped on the ice and was coming right at me. I was so loopy so I had no idea what to do. The horn roared as it grew closer. I heard the family of the house behind me get out of the house screaming, not worried about anyone but themselves. I struggled to get out of the way but I slipped on the sidewalk.
The next thing I knew, I was walking through golden gates.

This is partially true and partially not. But enjoy it anyways.