The Faery Child-Part 2 | Teen Ink

The Faery Child-Part 2

By Celair_Phoenix SILVER, Hue, Other
Celair_Phoenix SILVER, Hue, Other

"All that glitters is not gold
Not all those who wanders are lost."

His hair was the color of autumn leaves. He didn't look like the elves in the books, tiny little helpers of Santa. Power and wisdom radiated from his eyes, and his body was muscled like a cat's. He leaped down from the tree.

“Who are you?” Ella asked, apprehensively

“I should be asking that of you.” he said, smirking “For you've just entered into my realm.”

“Your realm?”

“Yes, Ella, my realm.”

“How'd you know my name?”

He shrugged.

“I have watched this town for over two hundred years. New arrivals always interest me.”

“You know my name then, so why can't I know yours?”

The elf laughed.

“You are a curious child. ” he said, “ But you should know, Ella, that names are powerful among us magic folk, we do not give them out freely like sweets. And you can call me Caílte.”

“How do I go home... Caílte? ”

“You have only arrived and you want to leave? Do not be too hasty. You can always leave-but can you find your way back?”

Caílte looked at her, his hazel eyes inviting.

“Would you like to meet the others?”

“Can I go home after I meet them?”

“I did not say you cannot leave.” he extended a slender hand towards her “Only said that you might not find your way back.”

She took his hand-hesitantly, then found herself up and flying through the trees-faster than the errant wind that followed them. When he stopped, she saw that they were in a clearing circled by oaks and pines. In the middle stood an ancient willow tree, and underneath it stood a girl, birds fluttering around her, and one resting on her shoulder.

“Meet Niamh, the faery-” Caílte paused, as if to correct himself “No, not the faery-the faery child.”

As if she heard his whisper, the girl turned, her aquamarine eyes flashing. It was then Ella realized that the creatures she'd thought were birds were really miniature horses-with wings!

“Welcome Ella.” Niamh smiled, flashing white teeth. “I see that you have met my cousin.”

on Mar. 11 2010 at 5:11 pm
Just.A.Dream SILVER, Lake Geneva, Wisconsin

Part of the J7X team. :)

I love fantasy stories like this. :)

You described the elf very well, except maybe you could describe the beginning a little bit more.