Diary of Jane | Teen Ink

Diary of Jane

By ncisgirl13 BRONZE, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
ncisgirl13 BRONZE, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Sometime, Some Date, The Community.

I just buried Kate.

Well, actually, I didn’t really bury her, I just left her body at the edge of the “woods” so that the pack of wolves could eat her remains.

That may seem cruel, but it was what she wanted, to feed the only other remaining species other that humans.

As I was dragging Kate’s body across the barren wasteland of the community, I had secretly wished she would have crawled out to the Edge on her own while I was asleep, so that I wouldn’t have too.

When I woke up this morning, I had turned on my side and looked at Kate, and I knew. I wasn’t sure why, but I knew. She had an unusually pale look of her. All of us here in the Community were pale, but when someone dies out here, their pale increases so that they look almost translucent.

I hadn’t screamed or cried, or felt much of anything. I felt empty, hallow, there was no emotion inside of me, or maybe, it was that I had too much emotion inside of me, there was so much, it felt like nothing, like when something’s so hot, it’s cold. Even as I dragged her body to the Edge, still I felt nothing; in fact, I don’t really feel much right now, as I write this on an empty diary that we found in The Library, I don’t feel a thing. I want to feel something, I want to feel everything, I want the emotions to come flooding in, I want to laugh and cry and scream and yell and freak out, but I can’t, something inside of me is blocking out all of my emotions.

I can’t feel anything anymore.
-
Jane

When I heard about the controversy of 2012, I decided to explore what might happen through my writing.