Letters to Amy 1&2 (Inspired by Oddworld) | Teen Ink

Letters to Amy 1&2 (Inspired by Oddworld)

By yoga_wolf SILVER, Park City, Utah
yoga_wolf SILVER, Park City, Utah

Ms. Katie
123 Whereami Road,
Paramonia, Oddworld

Dear Ms. Amy

I don’t know where I am. I don’t know what I am, I don’t know where I reside, and I don’t know who I am (It seems that I have forgotten my name) and I am very, very lost. The only think I can remember is a girl in my english and comp tech class - you.

It seems that I require some assistance in finding out who I am, what I am, where I reside, and where I am. This may be a difficult task for you, as I have no idea where I am. You are my friend and I expect you to come find me and help me. I really need help and you’re the only person I can remember.

All I know at this point is that I am in a place full of creatures. There are some strange humanoid type creatures who stand on two legs and call themselves Mudokins. In this strange primordial forest, there are large spider-like creatures that are about the size of a large dog. They hiss at me and act like cats, but build webs like spiders. The locals (the Mudokins) call these cat-spider creatures Paramites. Luckily the Paramites aren’t as aggressive as the Scrabs. These creatures are more like a mixture between crabs and spiders, and live in the deserts of Scrabania. Thanks to a Mudokin named Abe has helped me escape Rupture Farms and the deserts of Scrabania. Unfortunately, when we arrived in Paramonia (the home of the Paramites) he was shot by a Slig (a slug with feet and a machine gun). Sligs are like the henchmen of the evil people that we escaped from. I am now alone and the Paramites are closing in and hungry. I have successfully survived on Meat Sacs so far, and the Paramites will leave me alone if I throw them a piece of meat every once and awhile. I am sitting on a ledge, and the Paramites are building webs toward me. I think they want to eat me.

Please come help me.

Your Friend,
Katie

Ms. Katie
123 Whereami Road,
Paramonia, Oddworld

Dear Ms. Amy

I am still on the ledge, and the Paramites are still building their web. A bat came to greet me: I thought it would be nice to have a friend. I had no idea what I was doing. . .

When I saw the bat I was very happy to have a friend, and I fed it some meat so that it might stay. It ate the meat and just flew in the air in front of my face for awhile until suddenly it attacked me! I fought for my life, trying to shield myself, but the bat kept coming at me, tearing me apart! I ran, but the paramites followed with the bat, all of them hissing and growling.

I ran for miles, jumping small cliffs and jumping across ledges with boulders that crash to the ground. Luckily, I was able to find a small stairwell with a door, and my feet found the will to run up them. Slamming the door behind me, I thought I was safe so I laid down and fell asleep. I awoke to the sound of Paramites destroying the door that was my only safety. I ran. The door crashed behind me, and a parade of screeching and hissing and flapping wings was heard. I ran for what seemed like miles until I found a small ledge with a cave that the bat will not enter.

I wonder why. . .

Your Friend,
Katie

these letters are part of a five letter series that is inspired by my favorite video game Oddworld Abe's Oddysee.

I know it's strange to write fiction about a video game, but i think anything can be turned into literary art.