Silent | Teen Ink

Silent

By Leezzard95 BRONZE, Derby, Kansas
Leezzard95 BRONZE, Derby, Kansas

I could see his piercing green eyes in my mind. I wanted to scream. But I knew if I did he would find me. Suddenly I was grabbed from behind. I tried to scream, hoping that someone might come to my rescue. But nothing came out. I was silent.
Chapter One

I couldn’t shake the thought. A date, with Asher Klen. Had I really said yes? Had he really asked me out? Or had I imagined it? Oh god. It was a dream. Crap!

“Hi Harmony”, Asher said as he sat down next to me in the cafeteria.
Maybe it wasn’t a dream. I mean would he really sit down next to me in front of all of his friends? In front of the whole school? No. He isn’t that stupid. I mean come on, why would someone like him sit next to someone like me? He was the captain of almost every sports team. Everyone liked him. He was nice, considerate, funny, smart, and insanely hot! He had shaggy brown hair, tan but too tan skin, and those eyes. His eyes were so green. They were the most amazing eyes I’d ever seen. And as of today he was wearing some faded and ripped jeans and his lettermen’s jacket over a Beatles tee. Did I mention that he had amazing taste in music too?

Then you had me. My red hair almost down to my waist. My blue eyes hid behind it most of the time. My freckles barely noticeable on my pale skin. Not to mention I wasn’t the least bit popular. I had only about one true friend, Amber. And I was constantly made fun of for the way I dress. Which according to Amber is my own version of a modern day hippie reborn from the 80s. I was also really quiet and my hobbies included art and poetry. I wasn’t the most interesting girl.

“Harmony?” Asher whispered my name.
Oh my god! Why did he have to be so darn cute!

“Yes?” I asked staring down into the school’s version of potato soup. Which was really just some boiled water, chunks of potato, and some pepper.

“What time did you want to go to the movies on Saturday?”, he asked giving me that million dollar smile.

Oh my god. I hadn’t been dreaming he really had asked me out!

“Oh. Umm, I don’t know. I have a pottery class from 3:00 to 4:00. Then I have an art class from 4:30 to 5:30. So um, I guess you could pick me up at like 7:00 so that we could make a 7:15 showing. If that’s ok with you…”

“Ok, that’s cool with me.”

“Cool,” I mumbled, “Well, I just remembered that I had made plans with Amber to meet in the library for lunch. So bye.” I said as I quickly grabbed my tray and headed out of the lunch room. Not even giving Asher a chance to say goodbye.
I knew Amber didn’t have lunch right now. But I was perfectly fine with going to the library by myself. I just had to get out of there. I mean yeah I really like Asher. I’ve had a huge crush on him since about the 3rd grade. But that was awkward beyond belief. I felt like everyone was staring at us. Which they probably were, as of now Asher and I were the thing to talk about. Living in such a small town it didn’t take a whole lot more then the most popular guy in school asking out the least popular girl school to get this town excited. Oh and when I say small town I mean graduating class of about 70 students small town. Coahoma, Texas wasn’t the most hustling and bustling town. I mean come on the highlight of the year are the tractor races every July.

When I got to the library the doors were locked. I wasn’t quite sure why. I knew it was open, I had just been in there that morning. I tried once more to get in through the other entrance but it was locked too. So I decided to go to the art studio.

Chapter Two:
When I got there the lights were out so I couldn’t see a thing. The art studio was in the basement so it was pitch black because there were no windows. After about 5 minutes I finally found the light switch and flipped it on.
Then I cleared off a table and I sat down and finished my lunch in peace. When I was finished I got out some charcoal and tablet of paper and started to work on my newest masterpiece. I wasn’t quite sure what it would be yet. All I knew was that I had a lot on my mind and I had a lot of emotion bottled up. I always did my best work under those conditions.
I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and tried my best not to think about Asher. Then all of a sudden I had this urge to just start drawing. If I had learned one thing out of all of my art classes it was to go with your instinct. So I kept my eyes closed and went with the feeling.
When I was pretty sure I was done I opened my eyes and looked down at my tablet. It was a boy. But he looked evil. Demented or possessed even. It needed something though. His eyes. They needed color. I walked over to the pastels and grabbed a bright green one. I sat back down and colored in his eyes. Gosh that face…that face, holy crap. It…it was Asher. God dang it! No matter how hard I try I cannot get that boy out of my head. But why was I drawing him like that? Why did he look mean, evil, demonic? He wasn’t mean. He was a lot of things, but he wasn’t mean. He was sweet, considerate, and kind hearted.
For the rest of the lunch period I just stared at the drawing. When the bell rang, I stuffed the tablet into my bag and put away all the materials I used. I turned off the lights and ran up the stairs to get up to history. Luckily Amber was in my history class and we were partners on our current project. Which since we were almost done I knew I could talk to Amber about my drawing.
Chapter Three:

I was late to class which means that I had detention. Which wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. It would be just that much easier to avoid Asher after school. After I took my seat next to Amber, we started working.
“So what color poster board do you want me to buy?”Amber started, “I was thinking black but-”
“Amber! I have something much more important to talk about then the color of our poster board!”
“You do?! Ok! Shoot girlie! ”, Amber giggled; her brown eyes were glistening with excitement, her black curls were bouncing.
“Well I have my date with Asher tomorrow, and he was talking to me at lunch. But I got nervous and so I went to the art studio. I started drawing and well I…”, I trailed off.
“You what, Har?”

I grabbed my tablet and flipped to the page with the picture of what appeared to be Asher. I handed it to Amber and she studied it for awhile.
“Amb?”
“It looks just like Asher. But he looks…angry.”
“I know! But whenever I see him he always has a smile on his face. What’s your hypothesis Amber Einstein?”
Amber was always great at science, but after she aced a science test freshman year, which no one had even got an A on in 10 years, I was convinced she was related to Einstein. Hence the nickname Amber Einstein.
“Truthfully Harmony, I think you meant to draw Asher happy but you were too angry at yourself for leaving him in the cafeteria, you drew your emotion on his face.”

“You think?”
“Totally!”
“Maybe you’re right. Thanks Amb!” But I don’t think she heard me because as soon as I said it the fire alarm went off.
“Alright! Everyone form a line and head out to the football field as quickly as possible! This is not a drill!” Mr. Smith yelled.
Chapter Four:
“Did he just say that this wasn’t a drill?!” I asked Amber.
“Yeah!!!”
Holy crap! I thought as I hurried out the door behind everyone else.
Once I got outside I saw Asher standing with his friends by the football stands. Gosh I hope he doesn’t notice me. But my hopes were crushed when he turned around and waved at me.
“Wave back Har!” Amber whispered as she elbowed me in the ribs.
I shyly waved at Asher. As he started to walk towards me I dragged Amber into the stadium bathrooms.
“Come on let’s look at the drawing again.” I said
I searched my bag for my tablet. Then I remembered that I left it in history on the table.
“Crap!” I yelled as I ran out of the bathroom towards the school.
“Harmony?” Asher yelled.
I didn’t turn to look back I just ran towards the school.
“Harmony!”
Was he following me?
“Harmony!!”
God! He was!
I ran into the school, smoke was all around. I ran into Mr. Smith’s room. Where is it? Wait, there! I ran to the table in the back and grabbed my tablet.
“Harmony, what the heck are you doing?!” he grabbed my hand and started running towards the door, “Come on we have to get out of here!”
Finally when we were outside, and I could breathe again, I asked what Asher was thinking running inside after me.
“Because in case you didn’t notice, I like you. A lot!” he said pulling me into a hug.
I could feel everyone’s eyes on us. But the funny thing was I didn’t care anymore. I started to think that going to the movies maybe wouldn’t be so bad.

I was bored and i had what I thought was a somewhat good idea for a story so I decided to start writing it. So this is it! I realize I'm not very good so leave me some pointers! Thanks! (: