The Rebel Part One | Teen Ink

The Rebel Part One

By ChildoftheSky SILVER, Hartford, Wisconsin
ChildoftheSky SILVER, Hartford, Wisconsin

"I am not a number; I am a free man!"-some movie or another. (Someday I'll remember it..."

It was the year 3568. 1,556 years had passed since the Upward Movement. Although there were no public records of what happened, the legend was passed down throughout the generations. Humans, once upon a time, had lived on something called “Earf”. While people enjoyed life on the so-called “Groun,” a disaster had occurred, causing so many to die. Then, God had come down presenting mankind with a “City in the Sky,” a machine that flew through the air. Although it was big enough to support all of the thousands of God’s chosen group, it was light and sturdy enough to stay in the sky for all eternity. It would never run out of His holy fuel, and special computers would govern and protect God’s followers from corruption. The City was a perfect home, providing civilians everything from meals to a place in society.

His one request was to search for individuals with special talents, in athletics or science. When these people were found, they would be exalted and sent into solitude. In their special homes, the Talented would live the rest of their lives bathed in riches and glory. The rest of the City would continue to make their contributions and pray that God would someday present them, too, with talent.

Ayumi was one of these members of society, although it was highly doubtful that she would ever actually turn out to be talented. She had well-toned muscles, certainly, but she was a member of the Guard: those who protected the City in the Sky from the Disobedient and Rebels. Riding on her airsurfer, she scanned the City daily and dealt with the rare problem. It was her greatest joy to serve God in this manner, as it was for the other members of the Guard.

The day it began, she had been watching over the annual ceremony for the Talented. Hundreds of overly brawny men and women stood on a gigantic platform, watching as the applause erupted; after the physically Talented left the stage, they would be whisked off to be never seen again. Next, the unremarkable academically Talented would follow.

Ayumi kept her almond-shaped eyes on the spectators, making sure none of them held any weapons. Even if this was always a civil time, she’d had her long onyx hair tied in a strict ponytail. Beneath their feet, the overgrown grass shivered with excitement. The learning center, where the children learned about science, sports, and God, seemed to glow behind the stage with pride. In the background, the centuries-old metal apartments glinted from constant maintenance.

Ayumi steered the airsurfer over the trees and hid behind the foliage. Just then, several figures swiftly cut through the air over the crowd with small crafts that had sails attached—Rebels. Each of them held long, thin swords that cut through the citizens in one strike. Screams echoed in the viewing area as the blood splattered the ground, staining it crimson. Automatically, the entire guard circled the motley crew, stun pistols ready. The Rebels dodged the shots and raised their weapons; the slaughtering took only seconds.

Ayumi emerged from her hiding spot just in time to witness the loss of her comrades. Forcing the oncoming bile back down her throat, she flew forward desperately, firing off rounds precisely. Watching two of her enemies fall off their crafts, she flew in the opposite direction in hopes of luring them away from the civilians. A number of shouts confirmed at least partial success as she sped off without looking back.

The Guard couldn’t help but notice morbidly that the Rebels couldn’t have picked a better time to attack for her plan to commence. Since all civilians were required to attend the ceremony, nobody was in the her way as she sped down the metallic streets. She briefly glanced behind to see only one person chasing after her. He was a thin young man who looked about Ayumi’s age, with messy mouse-brown hair flying carelessly over dark goggles. Ayumi might have considered him handsome, if she hadn’t flown over the end of the City.

Unfortunately, the surrounding walls had smacked the airboard out from under her feet, sending her flying into the white abyss below. Her quivering heart was brought to the front of her chest as a mixture of weightlessness and panic spread over her body. Everything seemed to play in slow motion before a pair of rough hands grabbed around the slim woman’s waist. The other person’s arms wrapped around Ayumi, bringing her body to a jerking halt. Then, she felt a light pricking sensation at the base of her neck…

The first part of a post-apocalyptic short story. A sheltered woman has been living in the sky her entire life, but it only takes a day to change everything.

on Feb. 6 2010 at 9:21 pm
slightlymad BRONZE, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

“I can't dislike you, but I will say this to you: you haven't got long before you are all going to kill yourselves, because you are all crazy. And you can project it back at me ... but I am only what lives inside each and every one of you.”

This is O.K. I've heard something like it before

on Feb. 6 2010 at 6:21 pm
~*TheDreamer*~, Clinton, Mississippi

"You do some things. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is doing something else." -Leonardo da Vinci

This is very good and very intriguing! I spotted one or two grammatical errors but the story and plot is good so far :) Please keep writing!