Just the droid | Teen Ink

Just the droid

By stripperheels GOLD, Thornton, Colorado
stripperheels GOLD, Thornton, Colorado

Everyone wants to be happy, no one wants to be in pain, but you can't have a rainbow, without a little rain.

It was a chilly night in the barren landscape of what used to be downtown Denver. The human race was plunging into extinction rapidly. In 2012, all the myths and legends had come true, and the world was thrown into an apocalyptic state. Weird, scaly creatures were the majority of life on the planet, and it was now a full on struggle to survive each day. But four years had passed and we were still alive. We, being one of the last few tribes of humans left. Tribes, being me [Vinnie], Vahnn, Dexter, Nara, Damon, and Sara

It was probably a stupid thing to do, but I got up and started walking. To where, I don’t know, I just wanted to escape. Escape reality and everything we had to deal with. Escape all the pressures of life, and escape my shell of a soul. Nowadays I was a droid. I hardly ever spoke, I just did what everyone told me to do. I didn’t want to live. Why would I, I had nothing to live for anymore. Except for one. Not that they recognized me, I was just the droid. But never mind.

I missed how everything was. I missed my family and friends. I missed my old life. I would have given absolutely anything in the world to have it all back but wallowing in the past wouldn’t get me anywhere. I had to move on.

I didn’t realize how long I had walked until I finally looked around. They would be mad I left all alone, and I was scared to go back. However, I knew if I kept going I would more than likely be eaten alive, so I turned around and headed to camp.

I rubbed my forehead and sat down, exhausted. I probably had about another mile of walking, which wasn’t much, but it felt like it. No sooner than I relaxed I heard a strange growling sound. It was low and dangerous. I froze in fear, and my heart started pounding. ‘Oh god oh god what do I do? Oh no,’ I thought, to scared to utter the words. The growling got louder and I let out a whimper.

Cautiously, I stood up, backing away from the terrifying sounds. Suddenly, the growling stopped. Not bothering to figure out what had just happened, I bolted in the direction of camp. My feet flew across the ground, I felt like I was floating, until I tripped. I yelled in panic and struggled to get back up, but my ankle wouldn’t support me. That was when the growling returned.

I wasn’t about to give in just yet. I let out a scream, hoping the people back at camp would hear me. The creature pounced, and I could feel its scaly skin grabbing me. It picked me up and I felt like a rejected doll when he threw me into the air. I sailed for what seemed minutes before I finally hit the ground. “You b-----d,” I wheezed, “Not this easy.” I pulled out the only protection I had: a measly rusting knife. If I was going to die he was going to have some scars. I waited for it to pounce again, and when it did, I stabbed repeatedly into it until it flung me around again. I screamed right before I landed and my head erupted in pain. Terror filled me even more as the growling came closer to me for another attack. My head felt dizzy with excruciating pain and before I knew it I had passed out.

~~~~~[Vahnns POV]

I awoke to the sound of screaming. I bolted up and looked around, trying to see if everyone was here, but it was too dark. It seemed peaceful enough, but if we learned one thing, it was never take chances. I decided to wake everyone up.

“Hey,” I said, nudging two bodies awake.

“What,” they grumbled impatiently. “Something’s wrong,” I replied as I walked to where the others were.

“Get up you three,” I said as I kicked their side’s lightly. There was only a small problem. One blanket was empty. “Get up!” I yelled in panic. They all unsteadily stood up and I tried to determine who was missing, but the night cloaked their faces. “State your names,” I said, my voice shaking. ‘Not her not her not her,’ I thought, waiting anxiously for her to call her name.

“Damon.”

“Nara.”

“Dexter.”

“Sara.”

Silence.

My stomach fell. “No no no no no no.” This couldn’t be happening. Why had she wandered off? She knew it wasn’t safe. We had to find her. Alive. “Where’s Vinnie?” Sara asked. I didn’t speak. I couldn’t, I didn’t trust my voice right now.

“I don’t know,” Nara replied, “We’ll find her won’t we?” I could tell that question was directed at me, so I had no choice but to answer. “Yes,” I whispered.

“We’ll find you Vinnie,” I said as me eyes searched the blanket of night.

“We’ll find you.”

Lovestonedloser GOLD, Orlando, Florida

If your always looking down, you'll never see the beauty of the stars.

I likeeee this :) comment some of my work please?