An Unlikely Princess | Teen Ink

An Unlikely Princess

By gdwsoccer10 BRONZE, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
gdwsoccer10 BRONZE, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

When I was little, I dreamed of being a princess. One of the fancy girls that live in castles and play dress-up for an actual reason. Know what I’m talking about? Sure you do! Well, one day I was sitting at home and something magical happened that changed my life.

It all started when I was lying on the bed in my room. There was nothing to do on a ninety-eight-degree day during the summer. My mom and dad were at work so I was by myself. I was nine at the time and absolutely adored princesses. I was in the mood for reading a book. For that reason, I hopped off of my bed and walked downstairs to the bookcase. I picked up a book about princesses and castles back in Medieval Times, sat down on the couch, and began to read.

I had been reading for about five minutes when I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. When I looked up, I almost screamed out of fright. There was a woman, probably about five feet tall, standing in my kitchen. She looked friendly but I had no clue who she was.

“Who are you?!” I practically screamed.

“I’m your fairy godmother, of course!” she replied.

“Fairy godmother?” I asked suspiciously.

“Yes,” the woman answered. “I’m here to grant your wishes!”

She definitely does not look the part, I thought. She was wearing the weirdest dress I had ever seen in my life. It was kind of similar to a princess dress but the long, flowing skirt was replaced by a big, bright pink tutu and zebra-print leggings. Her hair was medium length and straight. It looked as though it had recently started turning white. She was wearing ballet flats, a pair of cheap, butterfly wings that come with a Halloween costume, and holding a magic wand that left sparkles everywhere.

“So what’s your name?” I asked her.

“Delinda,” the woman said. “But you can call me Fairy D! It makes me sound hip!” That remark made me laugh a little in my head.

“Okay,” I paused, “Fairy D,” I know she said to call her Fairy D, but I thought that name sounded a strange for a so-called “godmother”. I kept my thought to myself and went along with what she told me.

“Follow me,” Delinda said.

“I’m coming!” I told her.

She started walking and hopping away from me towards my front door. I stood and caught up to her.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“To the Land Far, Far Away!” Delinda replied.

“Um…..alright, I guess,” I answered.

I saw her trying to pull something out of her shoe. I was already thinking she was crazy, and this didn’t help.

“There’s nothing in there,” I told Delinda.

“Oh yes there is!” she yelled back.

After about a minute of pulling and tugging, out popped an identical pair of butterfly wings.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” I murmured. “I’m not wearing them. No way!”

“Darling, it’s the only way you can get to the Land Far, Far Away,” she said sweetly, but I could hear the stern tone in her voice. “It will only be one time.”

I agreed to wear them, but I told her to make sure nobody saw me. I don’t prefer to wear silly butterfly wings when there’s a chance someone from my school could see me and I could get teased about it for the rest of my life. Believe me, it can happen. I put them on, scowling, then Delinda waved her wand and we poofed into the Land Far, Far Away. It all looked so magical. Fairies flying around that buzzed as they flew past you, mystical creatures everywhere! I was thinking it was all a dream until I felt someone smack into my back.

“Ouch!” I yelled.

“Oops, sorry!” replied a creature I had never seen before. It was the body of a horse and the head of a dog. This “thing” was the most unusual animal I had seen in my life.

“I didn’t mean to bump into you, ma’am.”

“It’s okay,” I said to the horse-dog.

“My name’s Woofneigh. What’s yours?” she asked.

“Gretchen,” I told her, blankly. She must’ve seen me staring because she began to ramble on about how her mom was a horse and her dad was a dog and how they had an arranged marriage. Wow, I said in my head, what a strange place.

Little did I know thing were about to become much stranger. Delinda had disappeared about a minute after we arrived. I assumed she just went to do something or talk to someone. Meanwhile, I just stood there and waited. I felt a tap on my shoulder and when I turned around, a big goblin was hovering above me. He was humungous, although he looked rather friendly.

“Can you please come with me?” he asked nicely. I gave him a confused look. He smiled, assuring I’d be safe with him.

“Sure. After we’re done, can you help me find my friend?” I answered.

“Of course, ma’am,” he agreed. Everyone there was so polite!

He grabbed my hand and led me through the crowded street. After five minutes of stampeding through the mob, we arrived at a castle. Why am I in front of a castle? I was thinking.

“This is your castle, princess,” he said as if he read my mind.

“My castle?” I asked, stunned.

“Yes,” he said, “you’re the princess of this land.”

“Wow,” I replied, with my mouth hanging open.