Lies: Part 3 | Teen Ink

Lies: Part 3

December 12, 2009
By love96 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
love96 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I woke up to a sound of voices surrounding me. My eyes stayed closed while I listened to what was going on.

“What are we going to do with the subject?” I hear a man probably about mid-aged say.

“The same thing we did to her brother,” a guy with a deeper tone responds.

“Well, as you remember that didn’t go so well. It was the girl that we wanted all along, but I have feeling she’ll be a lot easier to deal with,” I hear a younger guy say that sound a lot like Nick. Nick-I wondered what happened to him? Was he okay? Was he looking for me? Or did they take him too? I opened my eyes with out realizing it to see four men observing me. Oh, my god, one of those guys was Nick.

“Nick?” I murmur.

I see him take something and his hand and say, “Subject 598 has awoken, I repeat subject 598 has awoken.”

I felt tear drops form in my eyes. I didn’t understand what was going on but I knew the Nick had played me. Everything he said to me, the kisses, everything they had all been a lie. It was all planned, he never loved me, I was set up. Somehow Nick, the guy at my window and my brother were connected and I was getting put into this predicament. I felt tears coming down my cheeks. I looked up at Nick in betrayal but he just looked at me and left, not one word said.

I tried to get up but I was locked. I didn’t understand this; my feet and waist were secured to the bed. I could see the key, though; I had to get out of here. I didn’t know what they wanted from me, but I was sure it wasn’t something good. I reached for the key, my fingertips touching it barely. I scooted it closer to me so I could get a hold of it. Yes, I finally got it. I put they key in the lock and sure enough, I was free. Wow, I thought, that was easy.

The door was open, so I easily got out. There were people in the other room-I could here their voices.

“She’s the one, I know she is, she has the gene we need to keep living, she’s the cure,” I heard a man say. The cure-I thought that’s what Jonny said in my dream. I noticed a drawer next to me, I opened it quickly, seeing if it would somehow explain to me what was going on. I couldn’t understand what any of those papers were trying to imply. It was all math equations I’d never seen. Heck, they were numbers I’d never seen and a language I had never come across. I was no genius but I knew these people were.

“So what are we going to do? Operate on her, that’s the only way, we need it if we want our species to keep us living,” I hear Nick say. A teardrop was forming in my eye, but I quickly wiped it away, trying to forget that I was set up for this whole thing.

“Her gene is special and extraordinary; her ancestors all had the gift and she carries it now with her.”

“I don’t even think she knows what she’s capable of, all that power wasted. The subject has a way to manipulate things with her mind and cause them to happen. In all my years I have never come across anything so complex that the humans would have”
Manipulate things and make things happen? Is that what these people thought I had? Never in my life had I heard of such a bizarre thing, my parents had always told me I was special, but this? It made no sense.

I heard footsteps coming my way. I try to hide but this whole place was open and I was seen easily and taken back to my room. I knew I needed to come up with a better plan, I couldn’t get out of her easily. It would take hard work. I lay on the bed thinking, nothing coming to mind. I heard footsteps again, they were coming in my room.

Two men came in and grabbed my bed, taking it to another room. This room was different, though; it was like a tube. That’s where they wanted to put my body and then they would put me to sleep, take my genes out, and kill me slowly, I just knew it. I couldn’t allow that to happen.

I closed my eyes. I thought maybe if they thought I was asleep, they would leave. I was right, they did, but I knew they would be back soon. I quickly got out from the bed and opened the door. I hoped somehow I’d find the exit fast. I ran quietly making sure not to be seen around the building. I need to find a way out of this place. I knew they wanted to experiment with me and get my genes so they could keep their race living. I thought this whole thing was so strange, but I didn’t really care right now. I finally found the exit doors. I breathed in then started walking over to it when the guy at my window stops me.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he says angrily.

“I’m not sure, but away from you.” I said returning that anger I was feeling.

“You little brat, you’re just like your brother! You never listen,” he shouted. His hand struck me, making me fly backward. I hadn’t noticed before, but he had incredible strength.
“I may never listen but you’re a…I don’t even know what you are, but it’s not normal and you better stop what ever you’re up too,” I shouted at him.
“Do you really think I’ll listen to you? Lizzie you don’t understand. I’ve been searching for someone like you my whole life, and what, you think I’m just going to let you go?”
I don’t respond this time. I was too weak to say anything. I lay on the ground and he walks over to me laughing and puts his foot on top of me hard. I scream; the pain was agonizing. I was blacking out again, my eyelids were closing, I could feel my self about to drift.

“Lizzie, stay strong, just concentrate, you have the gift you can beat him come on Lizzie you can do it, use your power,” I hear a voice inside my head; it was Jonny’s, I knew it was. I felt like it was all I did, but I cried again. This was different, though; when everyone had left and betrayed me, Jonny was still here for me and he believed I could make a difference. I would try to beat him to escape just for Jonny. I did what he said and concentrated hard. I didn’t know what I was doing but I trusted the voice inside my head. I knew what my gift was, but I had never used it before. I consumed all my energy and began to concentrate hard on what I wanted to happen.
Everything became a blur. My thoughts were all jumbled up and I was unsure of my location. I was one big jumbled up mess. The world was spinning around me so rapidly it felt as if a huge tornado had just hit. I tried to carefully register myself and try to get everything the way I wanted it to be. I finally looked up head, when I realized I really did have a gift.
I stood about a quarter mile away from the place, watching it burn to flames along with some of the people inside. I knew some had gotten out but the majority were dead. I had never experienced anything like this in my life. It was as if a huge lightning bolt had struck, blinding everyone making my thought a reality. It was all so confusing as if by some chance I had made a miracle happen. There was one thing I knew though and that was that my brother was still out there and I was going to find him. I knew this wasn’t the end, it was only the beginning.