Elemental | Teen Ink

Elemental

It was the smoke that woke me. I panicked. Gagging on the sulfuric, sooty cloud, tangling myself in the web of bedsheets. The pop of the flames hungrily eating my bedposts forced me to open my eyes.

My room was engulfed inflames; the blaze imbibing every incendiary object intermittently. The flames were winding their way across my sheets.

In some part of my mind, I realized that my skin was strangely numb. I looked down at my arm, expecting the skin to peel off in charred layers. My body was unmarred. I wasn't choking from the smoke inhalation....something was extremely odd going on.

"Enya!" I heard my mom's voice over the hiss and crackle of fire. All rational thought left my brain and I leapt of of bed.

"Mom?!" I barely noticed the way the flames backed away from me and even moved around my body. The flames were already tearing their way through my door, but I thought only of my mom as I slammed shoulder first through the doorway.

Thats when I saw her. She wass surrounded by burning debris. A sad smile touched her lips as she stared at me. I made a move to rush to her, but she held a hand up, halting my actions. The fire was beginning to burn away her black nightgown.

"I knew this day would come," she began slowly, " Since the day you were born, I knew you would be lost to me in death." A shiny tear slid down her cheed, illuminated by the eerie glow.

"What I didn't know," she paused as the flames licked at her flesh," Was that today would be the day I lost you."

She pressed her hands together, and I felt a blast of freezing cold air. I covered my eyes to ward off the stinging wind.

Finally the wind died down and I opened my eyes. I was in the middle of a blizzard.

on Jun. 14 2010 at 10:06 pm
olympianartist, Ardmore, Oklahoma
I agree. That one part in the beginning with all those big words jumbled together... and i would really like to read more

ponies SILVER said...
on May. 12 2010 at 7:58 pm
ponies SILVER, Greenfield, Massachusetts

Per Aspera Ad Astra

~Seneca

I thought the beginning was exellent, but the ending a little abrupt. I would read a lot more of it!