What You Want Most In The World | Teen Ink

What You Want Most In The World

November 1, 2009
By bluedgann BRONZE, Commack, New York
bluedgann BRONZE, Commack, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What You Want Most In the World

The mirror of Erised shows a person what they want most in the world. In the series Harry Potter, Harry is a young student who finds this magical mirror. When he was a baby his parents were killed by Lord Voldemort. Since then all he has wanted was to be with his parents again. So naturally when he stands in front of the mirror, he sees his parents. However the mirrors image changes with each person who stands in front of it. For example when Harry tries to show Ron the image in the mirror, Ron sees something entirely different.

If I was standing in front of the mirror of Erised I would probably see multiple things. I desire many things in this world. What teenager doesn’t? It could be something as big as world peace, or getting a one hundred on a test, or even having the cute boy notice you in school. The point I am trying to make is that we all want things. The question is however, to what extent are we willing to go to get what we want?

If I looked into this magical mirror I would want to see something selfless such as world peace or ending world hunger. However not many teenagers who look into this mirror would see that. If I were to look into the mirror I think I’d see all my dreams coming true. Who doesn’t wish and hope that their childhood dreams would come true. It can be a simple as going to Disney World, or as complex as being famous. In my opinion you don’t know what you truly want the most until you look into this mirror. Some people may think they really want one thing and their heads are saying do this, but their hearts could be saying something entirely different. They won’t ever know until they can peer into this wonderful mirror and witness what they really want most in this world.

The author's comments:
I really enjoy reading Harry Potter so this was a very enjoyable piece for me to write.