The Apocalypse

The Apocalypse

As I woke up, I smelt an unusual smell. A smell of fire, burning metal, and industrial materials. Why? I do not know. So far, all I know is that I live in New York and I am 13 years old. As I rise out of my bed everything looks bleak, dreary, and unsanitary. The floor is no longer the shiny wood, but a brown, almost rotted wood. I walked out of bed and started to dress. What I heard was a very rude awakening, screams from down the road. I realized my family was missing. I started to become frightened. My hands were trembling. As I walked out of the room, the whole house seemed to creak and whine. What I was about to witness shocked me for the rest of my life. Cars up in flames, enormous industrial factories in ruins, homeless people, and looters. I did not know what to do. I felt like I was in a daze. As I started to walk through the cruel, foreign town everything got worse. Buildings decimated. Debris, everywhere. Death everywhere. I started to wonder, where, when, and what is this. I tried to picture this place in my mind, and relate it to a place I have seen in my memory. The only place I could recall is a map in one of my fighting games. The time of day was pretty much unrecognizable. The sky was grey and blackened with smoke. I kept on walking and a tattered newspaper flew and stuck to my face. I started to read it...

“Bomb hits, once known civilization, gone...”
Date: March 25th, 2043.

I started to scream. Scream as loud as I could. I screamed so loud until everything went black.

I woke up screaming and my parents comforting me around my bed. I was too stunned for words. However, all I cared was that everything was back in place.

After I settled down, I wondered if there was anything I could do to prevent this from happening. Was it even real? Should I alert someone, or should I just forget the whole thing? I decided to let time unravel itself, for now.

Nicovera said...
Very nicely written! it's a good detail and concept

AdrianA.M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 5, 2009 at 10:59 am
Cool, your story is kind of like my book that I'm working on. Except in my story the war actually is happening.