Four moons and the Sun | Teen Ink

Four moons and the Sun

By EmilyDavenport BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
EmilyDavenport BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

"I feel morphed in my own skin, seeing it with my own eyes-I am frightened?"

The cold night air chilled my lungs as I breathed in deeply. It was refreshing after days of warm rain, which caused the air to be thick and unpleasant. I turned my attention upward, to the sky black like ink. I reached my hand up, it felt so close. The still wispy blue clouds cutting through the dark sky looked so smooth, I wanted to feel them in my hands so badly. The moon was the most beautiful, a large, dark crimson circle resting perfectly. I turned to my mom,

“It’s beautiful,” I told her quietly, not wanting to disturb the serenity. She only nodded her head, continuing to study the dark sky that seemed to surround us. I looked again at the sky and was amazed by what I saw. There was another moon, just as red and welcoming as the other moon next to it, and a little to the side of that moon was another and one more above it.

“It’s amazing! The sky is so clear tonight you can see all the moons!” I whispered to her. She again merely nodded. I took another deep breath, cherishing the crispness in my chest. I opened my eyes again to see a faded grey circle farther in the distance. It was the sun, peeking out amongst the darkness.

“It’s the sun....” I mumbled in disbelief, too quiet for my mom to here. I took a small step forward, reaching my hands out, I needed to touch it; it felt so close! I took another step forward. My foot caught in the ground. My body gently floated up and fell forward towards the ground. I desperately tried to look up as I slowly fell, not wanting to lose sight of the moons.

Everything went black.

I cautiously opened my eyes, not yet quite sure of my whereabouts. I lifted myself up and scanned my eyes around my room until they reached my window. I jumped out of my bed and peered outside. The grass was white with frost and the trees bare. The sky was a sullen grey, the sun not quite awake. I ran my fingers through my hair, pulling it away from eyes. I looked at the blinking red numbers on my clock. They flashed 12:44am. The power must have gone out, I thought. I allowed myself a heavy sigh before lying back down in my bed. My eyes closed and I fell back to sleep.

This short story was inspired by a strange dream of mine.