How Time Flies | Teen Ink

How Time Flies

By Cavi-Li BRONZE, Clarksville, Tennessee
Cavi-Li BRONZE, Clarksville, Tennessee

I woke from my sleep in the dark, standing up from my comfortable warm mattress. I looked around, of course to find that there was nothing until I looked closely in front of me. There was a glow, a faint trace of life about half a mile in front of me. It was slowly fading into the distance. I didn’t know what it was or what it did, but I knew that I wanted it. In fact, I believe I needed it, for as it left me I felt weak, my breathing slowed, as if I were about to faint. So I did the only logical thing. I began to walk, one foot in front of the other like I always do. Slowly but surely I began to keep pace with the glow. Taking a quick glance down I noticed blue etchings in the floor that were not there before, along side a blue line. The etchings weren’t familiar to me and they were always in groups of four. Curious, I thought to myself, what curious markings. I continued forward…the monotony of getting nowhere quickly sunk deep into my flesh, even deeper into my mind. The glow suddenly grew brighter and brighter and I lost myself in it’s magnificence. My heart pounded, my veins flushed, my lungs kicked into hyper drive, my eyes dilated, and my feet started to pick up the pace. My body fell into rhythm with the familiar tap…tap of my feet against the hard, cold floor. Tap…tap…tap they went…tap tap tap! They got faster and faster almost simultaneous at one point. It was exhilarating to listen and see my feet push forward with such powerful, swift motions. The little etchings beneath my pounding feet became a blur and my heart and lungs seemed to disappear with the beat of my feet. I got closer to the glow, it was brilliant. I got closer and closer still and I felt the warmth of the glow on my skin, the sweetness on my tongue. It was right in front of me. I reached out inching ever so closely and felt the sensation on my fingers. It was phenomenal I could hear color, see sound, I didn’t need a body. I felt myself being pulled out of my skin when my foot caught the ground, and the glow was snatched from my hand. In the next second my face met the ground personally with a smack and my hands were grasping for nothing but thin air. Once I regained my posture I looked at the etchings…I knew what they were, as if the fall had knocked all of my memory back into me. They were years, or rather the dates of years. 2689, 2690, 2691, and so on. I was from the year 2008, age fifteen. However when I turned to look at the dates behind me so that I might return to my bed once more…the floor was blank. There were no dates…2008 never existed…I never existed…