The Tree With Seven Branches

In the darkness stood a tree with seven branches. Its leaves trembled, mirror-bright, as a cold wind blew through the forest.

Around the tree’s roots lay a pool of glass-smooth water, like ebony in the lightless wood. Every now and then, a single mirror-bright leaf would drop from the tree and drift down to land in the glass-smooth pool. It would float there for a moment like a shard from a shattered looking glass, then be caught by the wind and whirl away into the darkness.

Like spring banishing the last traces of winter, the breeze slowly warmed, and all of the trees but the one with seven branches trembled in joy. The tree with seven branches did not tremble, though. It drew its branches in, as though to protect them from that warm breeze, and it keened. That beautiful tree, in the center of that beautiful pool, having stood against the dark and cold for so long, could not stand the coming of spring to the lightless wood. And so it keened, heartrending in the darkness. And one by one, its leaves broke off and fluttered away. They did not drift on the breeze, but were borne upon it, as the wind bears the lamentations of mourners at dusk. And one by one, the tree’s seven branches shattered into a thousand splinters of moon-white, raining down into the ebony waters with a sound like a dying scream.

And in the lightless wood, spring had come.

evie_girl_novelette445 said...
So good! I love how you made it read like you were just standing there, looking at the tree and watching this all happen! Love it!

Miller M. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 11:43 am
I loved how easily you can personify. I truly felt the tree's pain, even though I don't know what it was.

Blood-of-Ink This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Yeah, sorry...neither do I, really. :( But I'm glad you liked my story. Thanks so much for the comment!

Inkling said...
Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:12 am
I love how you described this scene. It's like you took every detail of an instant that wouldn't seem worthy of notice and turned it into a masterpiece. I'm new to the site and one of the first stories I read was your "Suicidal Vampire." I thought it was great and after reading this I'm sure to check out the others. You're a great writer and keep 'em comin'! ^_^

If you like the Suicidal Vampire, try The Witch's Tale. It actually won 4th in the Science Fiction Writers of Earth contest. That doesn't make it good, necessarily, but I still like it. (I might be just a little bit biased, though. But probably not.)

Inkspired said...
This is really cute! Great idea, love the description. And I know what you mean about imagination making your head hurt, happens to me all the time!