Tails of Scales | Teen Ink

Tails of Scales

By Squiggy BRONZE, Oakley, California
Squiggy BRONZE, Oakley, California

I wish I could stop the world,
To take a good look at it,
To see what its become...

Warm, dark, and quiet. These words explained the inside of an egg. A dragon's egg. The egg was brilliantly colored. It was a black eggshell that shone purple in the sun. Though the colors themselves were not vibrant, the egg was like a pearl and gave off a faint glittery effect when in light. From the inside, a small lizard-like creature sat quietly. It listened to the faint voices from outside.

“Are any of them showing signs of hatching?” Asked a voice of a feminine dragon, most likely the mother. Sounds of shuffling were heard. “No. Maybe it was a bad batch. It happens every once in awhile.” A male's voice spoke. He was most likely the father. The mother wailed. “So you mean I did all that incubating for nothing! That was 12 months of lost time!” The male sighed. “Well, I guess we'll have to wait till next time.”

But as soon as he finished his sentence, the black and purple egg wiggled. The parents let out an exited gasp. It jumped, wiggled, and rolled around. The egg came to a halt in the center of the nest and with a great amount of pressure from the inside, the egg shattered. It sounded as if a huge glass window had broken and shards of eggshell were scattered everywhere. The cause was the small black dragon that was stuck in the egg.

The small pup looked around with new eyes, she was bewildered by all of the colors and the brightness of the light. The parents let out another gasp. The dragon was not only black, but she was purple too. Her scales matched her eggshell perfectly. She looked black, but in the light she was purple. The pup turned to look at her parents. Neither of them looked like her. Her mother was a yellow dragon with small pink details and her father was a green dragon with small orange details. “Why,” The mother began. “she's a two tone!” The father nodded. “She's a rare one. Very rare indeed.” He looked at the she-pup with greater pride than before.

You see, the last known two-tone lived over 1000 years ago and no longer was alive. Two tones are the only dragons that have a different element than fire. They might have electricity or ice. Sometimes they only have a different color flame, such as white, blue, or green. But dragons can't use their power until they are at least 3 months old. So the small two tone will not know what element she possess until then.

“Oh, we still need to figure out names!” The mother fretted. Her husband shook his head. “I don't think the others are hatching, Citrine.” The male stretched out his wing and brought the dragon pup closer to Citrine. “She's the only one we've got.” The female stared at the rest of the eggs in disbelief. “It can't be true! Malachite, please, Tell me thats not true...” The yellow dragon trailed off, sobbing quietly. “I'm sorry, but its true. This little one is the only one we have and we should be proud.” Malachite answered, looking at his newborn daughter. The pup looked around, not understanding why her mother was so upset. “I guess you're right.” Citrine sniffled, joining the father at looking at the young dragon. “She looks almost like Amethyst.” The mother commented. “Then I guess that settles it.” Malachite spoke proudly. “Her name will be Amethyst.”

Amethyst looked at her proud parents with wide eyes. They each smiled a sharp-toothed grin as her eyes passed over them. The little dragon wiggled her tail playfully and unfolded her wings. She flapped them a few times before folding them once again. Her parents giggled at the black dragon's playfulness. Seeing joy on her the two faces made Amethyst smile, showing her pearly whites and uttering a shrill squeak. Her parents glowed and the room seemed to explode with joy.

Its just a little something my bored mind thought up one day.

Squiggy BRONZE said...
Squiggy BRONZE, Oakley, California

I wish I could stop the world,
To take a good look at it,
To see what its become...

Thank you~ Im going to write more about it. Some questions will be answered others will stay a secret. X3

But thanks for that I understand how its a little bland on that one part.

Hope_Princess BRONZE, Hebron, New Hampshire

"Hope sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible."

How cute!!!

But, in some sections-such as the one where you explain the two-tone- you TELL me what happened. You don't SHOW me. I know that sounds confusing....maybe you could have had the father dragon thinking about what happened to the last two-tone. That would make it flow better.

I love dragons and I keep wondering what kind of element Amethyst.

I have a dragon in my book-A World of Cries, but I only have part 1 &2 sections of it- the rest is on booksie.

Keep writing! You've got amazing story ideas.