Creatures of the Night | Teen Ink

Creatures of the Night

September 13, 2009
By Ashers96 SILVER, Marion, Iowa
Ashers96 SILVER, Marion, Iowa
8 articles 0 photos 4 comments

The day had started off like any other normal day in my life. Got up, went to school, pinched myself to stay awake during school, went and watched best friend at cheerleading pratice, and walked home. It was when I was walking home that I got that feeling.

You know that feeling that your being watched. The one that makes all the hair stand on end? Where you are constantly glancing over your shoulder, looking for the source, and yet no matter how hard you look you can't find it? It was just my luck that it would happen to me. As I walked home. Alone. Around six o'clock at night. Maybe that's not a big deal to some of you, but I don't exactly live in the safest neighborhood, or time. My mother always told me that if I ever felt like I was in danger to walk up to someone's house and tell them quietly, while acting like I knew the person. What happens if there's no house's around? Or if the house you go up to the person inside is just as bad? I always thought that, but never said it, wanting my mom to feel some pride on giving me knowledge about the world she thought she knew so much about.

So I was walking down the deserted street, glancing around myself nervously as I did so, because really, what else was I supposed to do when nothing but garbage on the streets accompanied me.

It was just my luck that up ahead the street lights happened to flicker on and off, on and off. Until they gave one last weak attempt at life before shutting completely off.

Another one of my mom's 'precious' tips, never walk alone in the dark at night. It was winter, so the nights were eariler. When I had left school I had thought that I could get home in time, with time to spare even. But yet here I was, scurrying around like a scared rabbit on my own.

It was a known fact that you didn't stay out past seven, and that was pushing it, in the winter. Nobody knew for sure what lived in the night, and yet the president was so sure that something was living there.

I had never believed the stories. The stories where young girls or younger boys were walking around late at night and never came back. It seemed like lies to me, so I ignored them, and put my mother's crazy ramblings off as just that, craziness. Maybe if I had listened to her for once it wouldn't have happened.

As I reached the darkness that had once been light a figure appeared in front of me. I couldn't make out who, or what, it was, but I wasn't exactly getting vibes that screamed rainbows and sunshine. The only thing I could see were a set of glowing red eyes.

I nervously gulped and looked around, hoping for an escape, even though nothing had really happened yet. Unfortunantely there was none. A tall fence blocked my way from the right. To the left was a building. Somehow I knew I'd never be faster then this thing in front of me, so that knocked out behind me, and there was no way I was going around it.

Suddenly I saw a large set of gleaming white teeth shinning out at me from the night, they almost appeared to be floating.

"Hello little one." The thing, which I now knew was a man, whispered darkly. Goose bumps rose on my arms and a shiver passed down my spine. I tried to take a step back, knowing with my entire soul that I needed to get away, but I bumped into an icy cold wall. I gasped softly and took a tiny stepped forward and turned around to see what I had run into to.

Another dark figure stood in front of me, with the same glowing red eyes. I was much closer to him, and could smell the musty scent and moth balls on him.

He opened his mouth and showed a set of brilliant white teeth, which mactched with the other man's.

"Let's just get this over with. I'm tired and went to get back." The man said.

I quickly turned back around and faced the other man. He nodded, still grinning like a kid in a candy store. I had a feeling I was the candy.

"Don't worry my darling. It will end quickly." He whispered, before he lunged.
***
The day started like any other, woke up, went for breakfast, came back 'home', beat the boy's at cards, went for lunch, helped the boy's find lunch, at dinner and desert, and came back. Any normal day for me, the new and improved me.

I no longer went to school. No longer listened to a crazy drunk mother ramble about 'creatures of the night'. If only mother knew what I had become. That had been my first wish when I woke up, was to go visit my mother. The boy's, my new family and all I had, stopped me though, saying it would only hurt me more. For boy's they were suprisingly right.

We were all stuck at seventeen. The fragile age between adulthood and teenager years. Never able to age physically, only mentally. The other girl's I've met in other 'families' never complained, always bragged about how old they were when they were changed. I'm the only girl in our 'family'.

Raven, my favorite brother, the young one forever stuck at fifteen and the one who changed me, also the most sickest, woke me up one night. Apparently he wanted a 'midnight snack'.

We silently crept down deserted street's, listening with noses in the air for one stray human. A stupid one who didn't listen and stayed out. Much like myself.

Finally Raven heard it, the mumbled curses of a boy, a seventeen year old boy, as he tried to find his way home scared out of his mind.

I sighed and took off after Raven, knowing he would try to drag this on, they were his favorite, older then him so they put up a fight.

Finally we found him, in almost the exact same spot I had been in a year before, trapped with no where to run.

Raven crept up in front of him and used his powers, freaky until you were one of his own, and turned the street lights off.

The boy stopped, looking around as I watched from the sidelines. I tilted my head to the side, understanding how this game worked now, how life worked. Predator and prey. The circle of life.

"Hello little one." Raven whispered, always his opening, I asked him about it once, he told me it made him feel older. When I pointed out that he truly was older then them he beamed at me like I had just given him a room full of humans all for himself.

I noticed the boy's eyebrows coming together in confusion.

Silently I crept up behind him and waited as he tried to back away, as they always did.

It took a lot of will power but I managed to stay still as he ran into me. Quickly he whirled around, breathing heavily.

I bit back my gasp as I noticed him, from my old school. He had really grown in one year, something I would never be able to do.

My eyes narrowed as I glanced quickly over the boy's shoulder at Raven.

He was practically bouncing in place, his red eyes giving away his excitement. I sighed quietly.

"Make it quick." I answered, rolling my own red eyes.

The boy turned back around nervously. Raven gave a grin full of shinning white teeth, teeth that never dimmed and never grew old.

Raven lunged and sank his fangs into the boys neck. His screams were cut off quickly and life went on.