Nulectria | Teen Ink

Nulectria

September 28, 2009
By AmyS. BRONZE, Huntington Beach, California
AmyS. BRONZE, Huntington Beach, California
1 article 0 photos 3 comments

The date was May 7, 2090, and it started out the same as every day, for me. My alarm gently woke me up. I expected to hear my parents Breath Taker, the machine that helps them breath when they are asleep, but I didn’t because we just got a new one for them. You can’t hear a peep from it, it’s amazing!

So I finally pulled myself out of bed, I walked into my parents room, they looked like the where dead, the same way they always look when they’re asleep in the morning.

When I walked I walk into the kitchen I heard a, “Hello, Jena,” just as I hear every morning, the voice was coming from my dog, Zeus, who was still lying in his bed.

“Good morning, Zeus,” I told him, “You have to get up, it’s ten o’clock, and we already slept in”

“Ok, I don’t know why but I’m extremely tired today, are you?” he asked.

“No, you’re just a dog, you naturally lazy.” I smiled at him.

“Ha-ha…”

I still wasn’t used to the new dog collar we bought; it was one with the microscopic microphones and speakers. I was used to the Hello Jena in the mornings, but not the whole talking dog idea.

“I’m not kidding, we have to go soon, get up”

It was Wednesday, the day for our weekly jog.

“Oh, hey, I’m actually making breakfast this morning, I was going to make along with one of those cooking shows that I recorded.”

“Oh, really, you’re actually going to make something? Usually you just stick something in the InstaFood.” Zeus sarcastically smirked.

I stuck my tongue out and chuckled at him. I turned on our Smellavision and went to the refrigerator and got the ingredients. I though the Smellavision was so cool, I got to smell the cooks food and compare it to mine to see if I was making it right.

“You know what I’m maki-” I was interrupted by a faint screech and foul smell coming from the Smellavision. “I think the power turned off again.” I commented. I turned on the power stove to check if the power was really off. Its light flickered and then turned off.

I put the ingredients back into the fridge and got the milk and three muffins out, then I walked to the pantry and got a bone for Zeus. I tossed the bone to Zeus as I walked passed him to the counter. I poured three glasses of milk, drank one, went into my parents room to put muffins and milk by their nightstands. After I did that, I went to my room and changed from my P-J’s into my jogging clothes. When I got back to the kitchen, I saw Zeus was done wolfing down his bone, so I led him and I outside.

It wasn’t until a few minutes of jogging that I noticed that no one was outside, but there should have been people, I mean, it is L.A. Also, all of the hover cars were on the ground, none of them were going.

After I was done examining, I realized another thing, “Zeus, my parents’ new Breath Taker has to be plugged into the wall, and the power got turned off, that means my parents are…” I didn’t dare to say another word.

A few papers were flying around in the breeze and one paper got blown onto my leg. I picked it up and started to read it, it said:











Warning!
Attention people of America, scientists around the L.A.
area have been experimenting on a gas called Nulectria.
Somehow it was taken into the wrong hands and released
into the air. Unfortunately, this gas is deadly, and when
released it turns off all electricity. Only k-9s and people
with the rare blood type, AZ+, are immune to the gas.
Soon this gas will spread throughout the world. Only the
ones that are immune will survive. I’m very sorry.












- President Obama



I read the flyer aloud to Zeus, and then we were both silent to take in the information. Finally, I broke the silence, “Zeus, we are both immune”