The Shadow | Teen Ink

The Shadow

September 10, 2009
By Anonymous

As my lips grew cold. My body began to shiver. I couldn't understand my emotions; my heart grew heavy. I could feel a presence but, when I turned no one appeared. My head began to hurt. As I sat at the edge of the curb I kept feeling the shivers up and down my back. My breath grew heavy and I exhaled to calm my self down. No such luck somehow seeing my breath since it was mid- January made me more anxious. I didn't understand signs my body was giving me. I was beginning to slip into unconsciousness but, the last thought that crept into my mind was "Elle.I am here. " Then as though everything had fallen I fell. When I had awoken I was in a small log cabin. The cabin smelled wonderful as if fresh bread had been made. Paintings from Native American Indians hung against the walls held by old, rusty nails. I was startled this wasn't my house. Where was I? The bed I had been layed in was one of the warmest. There were multiple woven blankets covering the hand-made bed. They all had images on them. Like the top blanket had a wolf woven in. The wolf had a sense of knowledge. The way he held his head like he was the leader of all the wolves. Yet, his red-black eyes held a secret something that caused the pain and tension in his jaw. But I couldn't examine the wolf anymore because I saw a dark figure coming down the hall.

The dark figure down the hall was coming closer. The figure was larger than anything I had ever seen before. I heard the sound of what could have been a women speaking different tongues. The way the person spoke I can't compare to. Soon I saw a tall, beautiful, and jolly women appear in the doorway. She smiled at me. "Well looks like someone's awake, eh? You sure slept for a long time. Me and Marty found ye out on the street. So we's took ya home and put ya straight to bed." The women spoke with a deep Irish accent. She was round and jolly as if Christmas time had come again. She wore a blue apron saying 'Kiss the cook' and a green button-down shirt underneath the apron with a pair of lightly faded blue jeans. Her hair was cut short; above her ears. Her hair was a light bronze while her eyes a dark blue. Her skin looked pale as if she were British instead of Irish. She eventually must have realized me staring at her. So she said "Well, ye must be hungry. Why don't ya have some dinner." I nodded in appreciation. Where was I? How far from home? My mind was spinning.

The women looked at me as if I was crazy. Like I had completely lost my mind. Her face fell ,the smile that had once brightened turned into a frown. "Oh" was all she said. The rest of dinner remained silent. Her husband was a gruff and scruffy man even, at the time held his head down and shaked his head from side to side. As if I was a little child with so much to learn. Suddenly I pushed the table away from myself without realizing I said "Thank you for your hospitality but, I must be getting home." The lady began to come after me but, I was already out the door and back into the cold January night. I heard the screen slam shut behind me. Now where do I go? I felt my toes chill as my feet crunched through the snow. I had no idea where I was or where I was going. I had lost where my home was long ago. I had to camp out here in the woods. I had no other choice it was nightfall and I had no chance of seeing in the dark. I found an old hollowed out tree I crawled inside and tried to make myself as comfortable as possible. Yet it was hard because the bark was cutting my leg. I heard the wolf howl. Like I did when I was home.