Owner Beware | Teen Ink

Owner Beware

By megan19marie SILVER, Kenton, Ohio
megan19marie SILVER, Kenton, Ohio

I was never very fond of Phillip. To him, I was only a hunting device, not his best friend as I should have been. My feelings were nonexistent in his eyes. I was just a dumb dog who could easily capture small animals for him. When Phillip brought me home and decided to name me Rusty, I was enraged! I am NOT an old nail, I am a dog! I actually prefer the name Harold or Bernard. Anyway, that’s just the beginning of why Phillip deserved what would soon happen.
Phillip ALWAYS wakes me up at the crack of dawn to go on a stupid hunting outing. Doesn’t he notice how serene I am on the floor beside his bed? He would never dream of sharing the bed with me.
But, being the obedient dog I am, I trailed behind him into the old red truck. The whole way to the hunting grounds, Phillip blared this awful country music. All of the songs seemed to be about a man loving his dog. Why couldn’t Phillip catch on and follow their actions? The music was about to make me physically sick!
We finally arrived after countless excruciating songs, and I joyfully leaped into a pile of leaves. Phillip allowed me no time to play, and we quickly began to hunt. He demanded that I go catch some birds, so I pranced through the forest, the wind blowing my ears behind my head. Within minutes, I noticed a beautiful blue bird perched on a log. With no hesitation, I pounced on the bird killing it instantly! I quickly ran to Phillip, excited to show him my prize. I was filled with pride and joy.
I soon found Phillip sitting on a log, relaxing, and sipping on a Coke. I nudged his arm to get his attention. He looked down at me with an uninterested stare, and that’s when it happened. He took that bird right out of my mouth, slowly examined it, and threw it back onto the ground! How could he?! That was MY kill, and I wanted him to appreciate it.
Suddenly, a dazzling object in the corner caught my eye. His 12-gauge shot gun was resting against his leg. Now, I had been hunting with Phillip long enough to know how to shoot the gun. I noticed the safety was off, and I knew this was my chance. I crept over to the gun and stepped on the trigger, sending a bullet right through Phillip’s legs. He yelped in pain, giving me a swift slap in the face. I tried to act innocent by looking up at him with my big brown eyes. But inside, I was beaming with accomplishment! Luckily for Phillip, he had his cell phone nearby, and he quickly called for help. He was hospitalized, but from what I heard, he wasn’t in critical condition or anything. In the end, Phillip has become more aware of how he treats me, as if he knew karma could come back and shoot him in the legs again.

We wrote this piece is creative writing. We got the idea from an article and we wrote from the point of view of a different perspective.

on Oct. 17 2010 at 2:57 pm
Dessometrics BRONZE, Charleston, South Carolina

currently seeking

aw its a nice story on the dogs part lol

on Nov. 19 2009 at 8:43 am
Natewolfmanjohnson BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio
That was a really good story. i don't think i've read this one lol

MDunson BRONZE said...
on Oct. 2 2009 at 8:25 am
MDunson BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio
Awsome story loved the details.

on Oct. 2 2009 at 8:23 am
MESLSEINGZER BRONZE, Kenton, Ohio
THIS STORY WAS AWESOME! made me laugh very hard.

mcbridet said...
on Oct. 1 2009 at 6:43 pm
I really liked this piece and the elements you put into it. First, you incorporated humor into the story like how the dog shot the owner by hitting his gun. You also made me look at the story in a different way by putting the dog as the speaker. You could have incorporated more to the end where the dog shoots his owner though to make it more descriptive.

on Oct. 1 2009 at 1:00 pm
Onceknown BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

Courage is doing what your afraid to do
There can be no courage unless your scared
-Eddie Rickerbacker

This is really good. Your are a great writer!

on Oct. 1 2009 at 1:00 pm
Onceknown BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

Courage is doing what your afraid to do
-Eddie Rickerbacker

This is really good.