I'm Alice, and I'm home. | Teen Ink

I'm Alice, and I'm home.

By JeanniF. PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
JeanniF. PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

The opening chords of Jefferson Airplane’s “White Rabbit” played in my iPod. I stepped through the front door of my high school in Brooklyn. A dean made a motion for me to unplug my headphones. I turned the corner toward the stairs.

Grace Slick started to sing as I climbed the stairs. There was a girl with green hair in white bunny ears sitting on the bottom step. She smiled and waved at me, and I waved back. Another girl, a sophomore this year, stood in a corner of the first landing, smoking a bubble pipe. She was dressed in a blue ruched dress with black leggings and a purple jacket. She ignored me, but I waved to her anyway. She bubbled in my direction.

On the second floor I strode down the hall toward my locker. Two boys argued while a third smaller boy, probably a freshman, sleeping below them. They glanced at me as I passed, and I nodded to them, continuing on. Across from my locker I found my friends. A girl in pink with purple stripes, another with a short red skirt and black top. There were 6 girls and 2 boys waiting for me.

Stepping into Murrow is a little like stepping into Wonderland. But I’m Alice, and I’m home.

on Jun. 26 2011 at 4:53 pm
DontWorryBeHappy123987 SILVER, Weston, Florida

I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities.
Dr. Seuss

I like how you mixed two worlds together! good job!

on Oct. 18 2009 at 11:19 am
JeanniF. PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
Well see the whole point of the color of the clothes is to connect them to the characters they're supposed to be representing.

on Oct. 8 2009 at 6:22 am
UlteriorMotives SILVER, Hope, Indiana
It could do with a little more description, especially of the people. Rather than focusing just on the color of their clothes, add a little more to it. =)

on Sep. 28 2009 at 7:44 pm
annkaykay2011 DIAMOND, Lansing, Michigan

"I am who I am, sorry, no changes."

Your welcome =] Lol Well not exactly the entire school, but a good pop. is like Alice & Wonderland too, though not as innocent. =P

ya kno?

on Sep. 28 2009 at 7:44 am
JeanniF. PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
Thanks so much! My school really is a little like Wonderland, and people with bunny ears in their hair aren't uncommon! :)

on Sep. 28 2009 at 7:33 am

"I am who I am, sorry, no changes."

Really interesting.

I like how Alice & Wonderland was mixed with everyday life.

Good Job!