I'm Alice, and I'm home.

The opening chords of Jefferson Airplane’s “White Rabbit” played in my iPod. I stepped through the front door of my high school in Brooklyn. A dean made a motion for me to unplug my headphones. I turned the corner toward the stairs.

Grace Slick started to sing as I climbed the stairs. There was a girl with green hair in white bunny ears sitting on the bottom step. She smiled and waved at me, and I waved back. Another girl, a sophomore this year, stood in a corner of the first landing, smoking a bubble pipe. She was dressed in a blue ruched dress with black leggings and a purple jacket. She ignored me, but I waved to her anyway. She bubbled in my direction.

On the second floor I strode down the hall toward my locker. Two boys argued while a third smaller boy, probably a freshman, sleeping below them. They glanced at me as I passed, and I nodded to them, continuing on. Across from my locker I found my friends. A girl in pink with purple stripes, another with a short red skirt and black top. There were 6 girls and 2 boys waiting for me.

Stepping into Murrow is a little like stepping into Wonderland. But I’m Alice, and I’m home.

DontWorryBeHappy123987 said...
I like how you mixed two worlds together! good job!

UlteriorMotives This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 8, 2009 at 6:22 am
It could do with a little more description, especially of the people. Rather than focusing just on the color of their clothes, add a little more to it. =)

JeanniF. replied...
Oct. 18, 2009 at 11:19 am
Well see the whole point of the color of the clothes is to connect them to the characters they're supposed to be representing.

annkaykay2011 said...
Sept. 28, 2009 at 7:33 am
Really interesting.
I like how Alice & Wonderland was mixed with everyday life.
Good Job!

JeanniF. replied...
Sept. 28, 2009 at 7:44 am
Thanks so much! My school really is a little like Wonderland, and people with bunny ears in their hair aren't uncommon! :)

annkaykay2011 replied...
Your welcome =] Lol Well not exactly the entire school, but a good pop. is like Alice & Wonderland too, though not as innocent. =P
ya kno?