Siren's Call

At the siren’s call came an immediate halt of universal noise, followed by the sinuous movement of earth wave; it shook, dusted off the empty shack, and finally, finally woke up the lazy man in the hammock.

It was a long call, the siren’s one, as it produced such a sweet, inviting sound that seemed ethereal and divine; it was almost a rule that nobody resist it. But how can one do so? That was a question to ask, as the voice, taunting now, lead the dazed man moving. The man didn’t know divine, for he was a sinner, a lonely deliverer of human error, but still he succumbed to the banal holiness of the voice, fell for it, until he was lured and mindless . . . charmed and claimed. Such was the intent of the voice.

And so he went to the origin of the sound, felt the incredible lightness as he put foot in front of foot. He didn’t feel the earth, though, only the air as he took slow drunken steps. So easy, so light, as if flying, the man had thought, and went on gaiting.

In his mind was the owner of the voice, a beautiful maiden whose snow-white hair fell willowy upon the small frame of her shoulders, then and again tousled by the adoring wind. It was a gentle picture that the man had conjured in his thoughts; it was tender and mysterious. It was once what he had lost, and now he swore to claim it and never let go again.

And so he walked and walked . . . walked and walked until he felt the pain move up from his feet and to his legs. The man didn’t mind one bit? his quest was worth more.

When he reached the place the voice hid in silence, produced a distressful atmosphere all around. Then there was the cast of moonbeams. They clashed onto the ground, merged as one brilliant white, and filmed the place with fairy-like glitters. His nervous heart fluttered at the sight of fantasy.

But bathed by the moonlight was a slender figure of a woman, a tiny shadow yards and yards away. Even from afar he was seduced. And so the man, being a creature weak from temptation, walked toward the mysterious woman.

It was when he was near that he regretted doing so.

Under the brilliant light of the moon was a woman showered with death stench, beneath her rested pools of blood, crept over the ground and scattered more. Their eyes met, held, then locked, and he saw sanguinity there, a kind of crazed desire and greed that turned his blood into ice.

The woman seemed to know of his thoughts as she smiled . . . smiled with the passion of death. And when the man started to run, she lunged furiously, outstripping the abrupt gust of wind.

It was midnight now as the owl screeched, as nightly predators went to hunt . . . and as the last bloodcurdling scream in the forest ended the man.

OwenDark said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 4:52 pm:
You did your research!

TheWrittenMe said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 10:03 am:
Oh my god! This was amazing! I loved it! I didnt really like the cover but who cares about that? The end was so different than I would have thought, and it made your piece even better. This was great. I'm going to go read all of your writing now.

TheWriterGolfer said...
I really like your use of description to describe the siren's singing. You capture the actual siren's image perfectly by descriing how beautiful she is and then how disgustingly ugly she is as well. Good job!

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 29, 2011 at 10:05 am:
Nice story! keep writing!if anyone could go check out and post comments on my new article time, not space. That would be great! :) just click my user name! :)(:

qui133 said...
Jun. 15, 2011 at 11:34 am:
slightly disturbing, but in a good, full way--the characters were realalistic and well written, and the senes were vivid and made me feel as though i was there.

valkyrie_girl said...
i really liked how descriptive and undestanding u were, as if you what they were both feeling and thinking. loved it completely

V.T.Summers said...
Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:07 pm:
AWESOME!! you have talent

elizabethlaura said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 4:32 pm:
you have a talent for writing! nice job :)

darkvisions said...
May 25, 2010 at 3:36 pm:
omg i loved this! creepy and intriguing at the same time, keep it up!!! :D

Anj16 said...
im still in school

Danceswithwords said...
i was just kidding man

matticus said...
I thought that this was Awesome. I really liked the fact that the man got to see the true face of his killer at the end, instead of it just being him drowning like in some of the original siren tales.

Mariella said...
I LOVE THIS. I've been toying with the idea of writing a novel about sirens, and your story has only inspired me more. Great job! I added your story as a favorite.

Jenna09 said...
i think your story is awesome. dont mind this guy. i saw his article and it lacks originality too. i think ive seen tons of stories with that kind of plot. and u gotta see his poems about love. too cliche. i think ur siren hits the traditional siren. i researched it and it matches. and even if it doesn't, a writer has to write what he wants. because if you limit yourself (like what that guy up there wants) then nothings gonna turn out good. and by the way, your writing is exceptional!

Jenna09 replied...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 6:07 pm :
my bad. i think he lacks orginality. erase the "too" part cause urs definitely rocks

lightbearer replied...
Nov. 20, 2009 at 12:27 pm :
i have to agree. individualism is what writers do. your story telling skills seem good, but next time, use mythology as the 'back hand' source. let your mind and creativity draw its own conclusion. also, sirens are seductive, but you need to do more research. their included with nymphs, dryads, and other spirits of earth. just let creativity play its role. nice creature choice.

Anj16 said...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 11:58 am:
i think originality is what writers should aim for. i could have done my research, reinforce the generally accepted idea, and in the end, produce a second-rate, copycat article. and one more thing, you don't speak for all the writers.

fairyfreak said...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 9:10 am:
I'm afraid that you have really NOT done your research, you have gotten the siren interpretation entirely wrong. If you want to work with the entity you have created, fine, but do NOT for the sake of all fantasy writers out there call her a siren.

Anj16 replied...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 11:58 am :

Anj16 replied...
Nov. 6, 2009 at 12:00 pm :
and by the way, this is an article from wikipedia: According to Ovid (Metamorphoses V, 551), the Sirens were the companions of young Persephone and were given wings by Demeter[6] to search for Persephone when she was abducted. Their song is continually calling on Persephone. The term "siren song" refers to an appeal that is hard to resist but that, if heeded, will lead to a bad result.
go figure