Violet Vertigo | Teen Ink

Violet Vertigo

August 28, 2009
By bigjwill GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky
bigjwill GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky
14 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are."- C.S. Lewis


The sound of sharp, stiletto heels, woke the young and beautiful Violet Vertigo. With the beauty of a butterfly and the grace of a gazelle; she was the heart throb of every boy in town. If her beauty didn’t do it, it was her divine acting. Between her blood curdling screams and her crystal clear tears, you would believe it was true. To add to the list she had the voice of an angel. Her harmonious voice was sweeter than a siren’s call. She was also a bit quirky. She had an obsession of buying pet items and would inconveniently disappear at the most inconvenient of times!
Violet rubbed her eyes and checked the clock, 8:00, just six more hours! It was Violet’s birthday and she couldn’t wait for her thirteenth birthday party, she was having it at the Meadowbrooke Theater of the Divine Arts! She had asked for a hair dye set, a purple bath robe, lavender bubble-bath, violet slippers, lilac pillows, and magenta mittens.
I’ll get to see my dad! Mr. Vertigo and Ms. Vine had split when Violet was eight. Violet’s dad was a business man and spent a lot of time away from the family. Virginia Vine, Violet’s mom, gradually fell out of love with him. Violet never understood parents would ever split, leaving the child stuck in the middle.
“Vi! Breakfast!” Ms. Vine called. Virginia had been a famous movie star. Virginia was also the perfect role model for Violet. Violet started following in her mothers footsteps in second grade, when she starred in her own composition “One Violet, many Weeds.”
“Coming Mom,”repliedViolet.
“I made your favorite! It's a bacon, sausage, cheese, ham, egg, bologna omelette!” As you can tell, Violet had quite an appetite.
“Thank you mom! So... Is there anything you want to say to me?” asked Violet, with an excited trill.
“Right! Let’s Not forget the birthday girl!”
Violet and her mom sat down for a breakfast fit for a queen and laughed about when Violet was little.
“So are you looking forward to your party?” inquired Ms. Von D.
“Only a ton!”, retorted Violet.
“Well I know your party isn’t until later, but, here is and early gift!”
“OMG! A purple cashmere bath robe! Mom I love you!”
“I love you too honey!”
The mother and daughter laughed and hugged. Violet was living the dream of girls all around the world!
While the two were hugging the phone rang. Violet, quicker than a cheetah, pirouetted to the phone. “Heyo! The lovely Violet Vertigo speaking!”
“Hey Vi! It’s dad!” said the warm voice of Virgil Vertigo.
“OMG! I can’t wait to see you later! We can eat cake together, and laugh, and talk, and eat the dinner together, and....”
“Vi, that’s the thing, I can’t make it. Me and Venetia are going to an opera and I won’t have time for your party.”, interrupted Mr. Vertigo, with a guilty sound in his voice.
“What! I thought you loved me! I guess that witch is more important than me! I wish I could fly away and leave!” cried Violet, heartbroken.
“Vi! No! Don’t!”yelled Mr. Vertigo.
“...” Violet’s end of the line went silent.
“Vi! Are you there?! No!” Mr. Vertigo quickly dialed Virginia’s number. “Virginia! It's Violet! I, I think she might have changed!”
“What?! What did you do now?! Actually, I don’t want to know, I need to find my daughter!” cried Ms. Von D
Ms. Von D ran to the phone fast as she could (which, in heels, wasn’t very fast). When she got to the phone, there was a violet nightgown, purple socks, and a lilac feather. “No! She could be anywhere!” sobbed Ms. Von D to herself, “What happened? Not a bird!”
Violet was a shape-shifter, she could transform into any animal, but, that animal would, always, be purple. It was a talent she was born with, something kept top secret. Only a few people knew, and those few were sworn to secrecy.
“Hello? Animal Control? It’s Virginia Von D. I lost something very precious to me, my daughter. This time she is a lilac bird. Please help!”, at that point Ms. Von D burst into tears.
“Ms. Von D. I don’t know how to tell you this, but, we have a lilac finch in critical condition. It was struck by a car’s windshield. It has purple eyes, and it is crying magenta tears. Ms. Von D, I am sorry. If she does change back she will die instantaneously.”said the animal control agent, on the verge of tears himself.
“No! She is my whole life! Is there anything you can do?”squeaked Ms. Von D
“No, ma’am I am so sorry. She is terminal. We need to put her down.”
At this Ms. Von D started to sob hysterically. “What should I do? I love her!”
“Virginia, I love you and her, but she is in pain, the injection will not hurt and will run it’s course in three seconds.”
“Just do it! Please, promise me it won’t hurt her!”
“Virginia, I swear on my life, it will not hurt her.”
“Ok then, go.” Ms. Vertigo could hardly talk, her mascara stained face made it clear that she wanted to die herself.
The next week, the Von D house was painted black, inside and out. Except, for one room, the room of Violet Vertigo.
Virginia buried Violet in the Meadowbrooke cemetery. The lilac head stone read, “My beautiful Violet, you will never be forgotten.”
The next day, every newspaper printed a story of the tragic car accident that killed the young and beautiful, Violet Vertigo.


The author's comments:
This is my first attempt at a freeverse poem that tells a story. Fingers crossed!