Ethan's Curse | Teen Ink

Ethan's Curse

By Whitesofttail SILVER, Ayer, Massachusetts
Whitesofttail SILVER, Ayer, Massachusetts

Ethan ran into his apartment panting from the frantic run; he immediately ran over to his mirror and gazed upon his own reflection.
He could hear a deep, inhuman voice saying “you live to cause pain but you feel the guilt and sympathy that comes with being human”.

“Shut up….. I can’t cause another pain and just walk away” he responded.

“So you bring death and misery only to undo it all and take credit for the horror having finally ended; you are most entertaining” the voice responded.

Ethan looked into his mirror and saw his reflection move on its own; the frightening part was that it was talking to him and had razor sharp teeth.

“I can’t be evil like you; it won’t matter how much power I’ll get” Ethan stated with tears filling his eyes.

“Evil is an opinion; good is as one chooses to see it. In this world you have the option to believe what you must, and you will not turn against that which you love without being able to see the worst within it” the voice answered calmly.

“Why do you do this? Bringing pain to another is one of the worst things I’ve ever had to experience….. because I can’t stop”

“You will never understand blind rage; but you will know what it feels like to fall from grace”

“I won’t embrace this; when a person has this desire to do something evil it’s not their fault….. until they decide to do it”

“You will live though this pain so that others can gain the satisfaction that you shall never have; you must embrace me”

“I’ve heard your voice for so long and every time I even think about you I feel disgusted by all the lives you destroyed”

“When all is said and done and the voices stop you may realize that….. some of them were your friends”

It was then that Ethan reached into the mirror and grabbed the duplicate of himself within it. He tore his other self out from the glass and soon was force to face it.

Ethan’s other self struck him across the face with a hand bearing razor sharp nails; Ethan screamed in pain and fell to the floor with his face cut.

“You are sick and twisted like all humans; your only difference is that your inner evil speaks to you. You may still have a soul and compassion but I feel your innocence struggling to hold on; I sense the very war between light and darkness” Ethan’s other half said as he smiled an evil smile that revealed his sharp, inhuman teeth.

Ethan’s other half then kicked him while Ethan was bleeding on the floor, then he picked him up and threw him into a wall. After Ethan fell on the ground once more his other self grabbed him by his hair and slammed his face into a desk.

Ethan was now beaten and bleeding on the ground and looking at the part of himself that he could never defeat.

“Why won’t you stop” Ethan begged with an absolute helplessness.

He started having flashbacks to when he was a child now; Ethan could hear himself screaming whenever this voice tormented him. Having to hear his own cries and those that came from his victims broke his heart; realizing all that he had done broke his spirit and made him feel like a monster.

“This is what it feels like to fall from grace; you were once innocent but now I rule over you….. and I always will”

Ethan saw a knife upon the ground and quickly grabbed it; he then turned around and faced his enemy. But instead of his other self he saw an innocent man with terror in his eyes and a white outfit.

Ethan dropped the knife and fell to his knees realizing that he almost took this man’s life; he also felt a deep pain knowing that his other self had gotten away.

“I’ll never get rid of him” Ethan said with despair.

“It’s okay Ethan; your other half can’t hurt you or anybody else anymore” the man said before he took Ethan away.
Two other men dressed in white outfits were nearby talking.

“He’s obviously psychotic….. he keeps talking about this other self or something” one man said to the other.

“It’s too bad he got out this time, we need to lock him up way better” the other man replied.
Ethan’s life was consumed by the curse that his other half had brought him; to another person it was all false but to Ethan this curse was more real than he had wished.

Ethan has been struggling with a darker half of himself; what happens when it has become a physical thing?

SomethingCalledTerra SILVER, Budd Lake, New Jersey

"Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever"

-Lance Armstrong

-

This is REALLY good! I really hope to read more about Ethan.

Onceknown BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

Courage is doing what your afraid to do
There can be no courage unless your scared
-Eddie Rickerbacker

I LOVED this, it is so good. PLEASE write more about Ethan!!!!