Trails Of Tomorrow: Rain In November | Teen Ink

Trails Of Tomorrow: Rain In November

By Theresa Thornton BRONZE, Washoe Valley, Nevada
Theresa Thornton BRONZE, Washoe Valley, Nevada

“…In Bristol.” The news anchor said in a breaking-news story. “If you’re just joining us, we have breaking news spurring from all over the Link.” The news film shown was horrifying. People were shown being beaten by police and massive attacks on seemingly innocent people.

“A recent law was passed on Earth banning homosexual practices, and the reign has not stopped there. On three other stops in the Link, or the travel tine connecting four planets capable of sustaining a human lifestyle together, Earth has in a sense infected basically everyone with their biases.

“Today around the Link: Negroes, homosexuals, Pagans among various other types of people were forced to flee under the new regime under the dictator Heifer of Neatherleigh, the stop on the link widely considered a safe haven for outcasts and obscenely rich, as well as the home of the well-known Anarchist group Company of Men…”

“We’re not Anarchists!” Kimber huffed over the anchor’s spiel, unaware of the other people in the room at that moment.

“…Etails as this story develops. Meanwhile…” The anchor was cut off again as Kimber turned the television off.

“Oh, my God.” Jason and Allisure said almost simultaneously. “Oh God, oh God, oh God…”

“There is no room for God here, this is human err.” Kimber said. Kalav watched her, almost seeing the cogs in her mind turning and working hard. “There needs to be a revolution.”

“What are you talking about? Kim, a f***ing revolution- do you realize that you’d be alone in it?”

“I know of three people, at least, that would be behind me on it… no, wait…” She said as she counted on her fingers, muttering names. “I know at least thirteen people, that’s more than enough to start.” She nodded more to herself.

“We’re behind you… God, we’d be dead now if we weren’t here…” Allisure gasped. “We can’t go home, what are we going to do?”

“I know a place, you can stay there.” Kimber shrugged. “You two are behind me, right?”

“Someone’s got to stand up to this, it’s been bound to happen for years.” Jason nodded. “We’re both behind you.”

“So am I.” Kalav said finally. “I can’t stand by watching this happen without doing anything.”

“Good.” Kimber smiled. “Great, as soon as we get out of here I’ll get everyone together.”

And she did. A week passed and her cell phone was returned to her as she left the hospital. On her way home in the limo Kalav had become sort of accustomed to she made phone calls to people. Allisure and Jason rode with them, star-struck and in awe, as they had quite obviously never rode in a limo before.

“We passed the mansion, Kimber…” Kalav pointed out.

“Were not going there right now. I need to see David about something and these two need to be dropped off. We’re going to Highmonus and then coming back here about sunset.”

“Highmonus?” Kalav’s eyebrows rose as he repeated the name of the town. “Well, if he can afford a butler and a limo for your use, I suppose he can afford to live there.”

“Yeah, he’s so rich these days he sh**s twenties.” Kimber shrugged with a small smile. “I probably couldn’t afford to breathe if he didn’t hire me.”

“What’s your job?” Jason asked. “If you’re working for a guy who lives in Highmonus, it has to be something classy and…”

“I’m a hired assassin.” Kimber said plainly, cutting off Jason’s would-be description of a dream job. “I work with the Company of Men, and according to David I’m the best.”

“But… but… YOU’RE A CHICK!” Allisure’s mouth hung open. “Holy sh**, you have got to be lying!”

“Nope, I’ve got proof… here.” She pulled a paper out of her pocket of the clothes David had left at the hospital for her. She unfolded it and handed it to the three boys: it was her contract, along with a picture of her normal self and her masked self, the masked identity key to her life, so that she was not considered a fugitive.

“Wow…” Allisure had a wide grin on his face. “That is so cool.”

“I guess; I’ve been at it for…”

“Four years!” Jason said. “I’m a huge fan, I watch you on the news all the time, I for one fully support what you do… There’d be a lot of horrible people still causing hell if it weren’t for you.”

“I’m not that great.” She looked out the window. “We’re almost there, you can see the fairgrounds and the train station from here.” She pointed out. “Kalav, remember last week? This was the station we came out of.” She smiled. “I haven’t been here in ages, that’s why I didn’t remember it.”

This is an exerpt from a new unpublished novel by a teenage author under the pen name of Theresa LT.

Zero_K DIAMOND said...
on Aug. 14 2009 at 12:39 am
Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania

"Life's no fun if you're not insane, otherwise you grow up to be an accountant." -Moi

I love this. There's a deeper meaning here under the actions of the characters. It's like the ethnic cleansing of other countries and what we did in the past magnified so everyone can see what a huge ugly zit on the face of society it was and is. Great job.

ZERO