The Key | Teen Ink

The Key

By Bree Basgil BRONZE, Crosby, TX 77532, Texas
Bree Basgil BRONZE, Crosby, TX 77532, Texas

A key to a safe full of inherited diaries has been passed down from mother to daughter for generations. The tiny books were their ancestor’s stories of their adventures. One day when it was time to pass down the key the mother said, “This is to be kept a secret. You are to tell no one or ever give somebody this key.” The daughter nodded her head, “Yes ma.” She took the key that had been placed on a necklace and put it on her neck. The next day she kept quiet about it. And also the day after that. But when one of the children started to brag about a present he received from his parents, she couldn’t resist any longer. The kids oooowed and awwed, they begged to touch and wear it. She said yes, happy for the attention. One red head girl offered her five dollars to wear it just until the next day. The daughter handed it over as soon as the money was obtained. The following day, the daughter went to school and saw the red head. “I’m sorry I was at the pond and I accidently dropped it in the water. The daughter panicked and was so frightened that her mom be mad. Anytime her mom would ask about the key she would change the subject or make up some excuse. And anytime the daughter asked a question about her mother’s past her mother would say, “You’ll find out later.” The years past and the daughter became a woman and the mother an old woman. The old woman grew sick and died. She left only one thing, a note. It read:
Dear daughter,
My will is in the safe along will all the other secrets I have kept.
Love Mom