An unexpected visit | Teen Ink

An unexpected visit

It sounded like someone was scratching the window. Scratching to be let in. There is absolutely no way I was going to leave the warm comforts of my bed to see if the rain was flinging rocks at my window. Then, I heard it again. Tapping louder and more urgent this time. A shiver ran down my spine.
Slowly, I crawled out of bed and inched towards the window, stubbing my toe on the dresser next to my bed. Muttering in pain, it took me incredibly long to get halfway across the room.

‘It’s probably my idiotic brother trying to scare me again.’ I thought. He never forgave me for making him scream like a little girl in on Halloween.
Let me give you a little background me, Lillian, and my brother, Zac, are fraternal twins. We love to play jokes, especially on each other. We hardly ever go through a day without playing a prank on each other.
“Zac”, I said trying not to let my voice quiver, “I know it’s you so stop it.”
“Wasthematter?” Came the sleepy voice from the room.
I suddenly broke out in a cold sweat. If my brother was sleeping in the other room, then who or what was scratching the window? I continued creeping towards the window grabbing a stuffed animal too hopefully distract whatever was out there.

As I peered out, I reeled in shock as I saw what was outside. It was an exceptionally small girl hovering in the air. On a closer look, she had wings and was drenched from the rain storm.
“Open the window!” she mouthed while she banged on the window with her tiny, delicate, fist.

Not wanting to anger her anymore than she already was, I unlocked my window and let her in. She fluttered into my room and landed gracefully on my pillow.

“Thank you for letting me in,” whispered the fairy, “my name is Thalia. I was on my way home and the storm caught me before I could find shelter.”

“Oh, well I’m …err… sorry to hear that.” I stuttered taken by her beauty. She had luscious long golden hair and a fair complexion with big emerald green eyes. She was so small that she could stand in the middle of my palm. She wore a dress made out of flower petals and had petite gold slippers on her feet.

“I won’t stay long,” she promised, “just until the rain stops. I have to get back to the rest of the family. Mother will be so worried.”

“Well you can stay here as long as you need.” I assured her.

My stomach sank as I heard the drip, drip of the last drops of rain falling off the rain gutter.

“Since the rain stopped I guess you better go.” I said as my face fell.
Noticing my disappointed expression, Thalia giggled as she flew out, “Maybe I could come visit you sometime, after all who’s going to believe you saw a fairy.”

this is my first time ever trying to write a short story so it might not be that great.