Enemy Terms: Prologue | Teen Ink

Enemy Terms: Prologue

By Aja Medina BRONZE, El Paso, Texas
Aja Medina BRONZE, El Paso, Texas

"This is what happened." I traded my life to spare my enemies. 12 gauge shells flow through my system burning with fire and electricty. I wait, cloaked in darkness, with a steel rod inside my chest. Holes in my chest and holes in my back. Enemies all around and cops on their way. My mind is so clear. It's probably thanks to the 10,000 volts that are surging in me. Mute, blinded, and deaf, but I'm still awake in this abyss. How did this happen?

The opera tonight was playing an old time favorite and I was invited by the nice, shy man from work. My lungs are parlayzed now. Not that it matters much. It wouldn't be my first meeting with death. From birth to rebirth, I have seen the Grim Reaper many times. I wonder if he's sick of me showing up and unable to take me to wherever I'm suppose to be. This little, rather pathetic war was to show which race is better has caused part of this. I have avoided and became uncaring for it. Only when the war sucks me in, like now, do I care. Other then that, it isn't my war. There's that heavy exhaustion. I can tell the difference after all these years. This is...shocking. Funny how its the only word that comes to mind. From walking down the parking lot, just blocks from the play, to facing an enemy. Ten minutes of fighting the copper haired man and the next the second, or two, the other two came along. Sad really. The date will be cancelled and he will be worried. I'll be in questioning if I don't die.

The darkness is waiting now, calling rather loudly to me as I'm still pinned to this transformer. I guess I should be in awe that the 12 gauge was fired twice and both times I was hit. Nice, right? This is weird to anyone who knew this war. I was recovering from the blows of the bistre colored one while his comrade fought copper head. I don't know why I pushed her out of the way just to greet the Remington 1100. They were getting smartter in reaction time. I don't really understand why I moved her. My own reaction time has increased itself perhaps. Two against one now. Copper head wouldn't be able to win. If he was smart as he was with that 12 gauge, he would flee while the timing is good. Again, if I survive this, I will be at their mercy. The hands of werewolves or, if copper head managed to win this fight, the hunters hands. Such wonderful choices for a vamp like me. So much for my wisdom over the last 850 years ...or was it 852? You think I would be wiser beacuse of my age or simple common sense. This was a very interesting way...to die.

Onceknown BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

Courage is doing what your afraid to do
There can be no courage unless your scared
-Eddie Rickerbacker

SSOOOOO CCCCOOOOOOLLLL!! If you decide to write more (which I hope you do) I can't wait to read it