Kiss of Darkness | Teen Ink

Kiss of Darkness

July 13, 2009
By Anonymous

Run; run, always on the run. I have been for two years and that is what has led me to this old mouldy apartment on 6th Street. All that is left to do is wait. He’ll never stop. Not until he has found me. So I wait huddled up in the furthest corner of the apartment, drenched in tears and sweat. Hair wild as a bird’s nest but none of that matters, not in the slightest. My loved ones have to be safe and that is why I run. Bang. What was that? I slowly got up and walked to the yellow chipped front door to find it opened. I remember locking it, how could it be…? And then it hit me like a ton of bricks, my heart stopped and then pumped out of my chest as I heard his husky luring voice from behind me.

“Hello love.” I turned to face his soulless black eyes as he spoke with his wicked grin on his flawless ghost white face. I was frozen in shock and within those two seconds he took advantage by grabbing me with his stone cold hand by the shoulder and sinking his perfect white teeth into my sweaty neck. At first the pain was excruciating but then everything became blissful. It was like nothing I had ever experienced before; the venom was like a drug that numbed my body and eased my muscles. I was able to snap out of my illusion and grab the sharp silver blade from my back pocket while he was distracted with my rich red blood that was pulsing through my veins. I quickly slashed him on his gradient skin. He roared a curse at me in fury.

As soon as I was out of his strong hard grip, I made a run for it. Blood was spilling out of my neck like water dripping out of a tap. I was too weak and I knew I wasn’t going to make it far. I thought I was ready to face him, I thought the past two years would have made me stronger, immune if I was lucky but no, all I ran on now was adrenaline and fear. Fear for my life, fear for my loved ones and most of all fear of death. The emergency exit was jumping out at me and I was almost there. Just a couple of metres. It felt like years, when fear overrode everything in my whole body, every second felt so much longer. I dragged on; the loss of blood was too much to handle and there was no point in screaming. Nobody had lived here since I had put it on fire two years ago when I first tried to murder him. Just a few more steps and I would be okay…hopefully.

As I reached for the handle I got a chill from the coldness but not nearly as ice cold as him. I opened the door in one swift movement without looking behind me to face him. But when I looked up from the rusty handle, he was there staring at me but this time with a fury that was so strong it changed his eyes to the colour of what he desired most…blood. The wicked smile was gone from his perfect pale lips; all that was left was the passion of hunger and the enhancing anger that chilled me to my bones. This time he took no risks and paralysed me. The man I loved was nowhere to be seen, all that was left was a blood cold murder who was about to take another life which meant nothing to him.

Silent tears fell from my face as I knew this would be the end. I gave up nearly everything for him and then I did give up everything just to get away from him. I realised at that moment he was the last person I would see and I felt violently ill. I would die young without so much as a beginning and yet the end was so near. As he took his last look at me, he drained the life from me. I went completely numb this time there was no bliss-only darkness. My life didn’t flash before my eyes but I did hear my heart slow and feel myself become weak until my eyes felt like lead and were too heavy to leave opened. I sank deeper and deeper until nothing was left but complete and utter pitch black darkness.