One of Many Mysteries: What I Am About To Tell You....(part three) | Teen Ink

One of Many Mysteries: What I Am About To Tell You....(part three)

By JeanniF. PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York
JeanniF. PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

Stevie had been spinning in front of her house in Brooklyn one summer night, long after Taylor had gone to bed, long after Bear had gone out of town for the week, when a beautiful young man had come up to her and started spinning with her. He had curly black hair that hung to his shoulders, dark eyes that were almost black, and tattoos up and down his arms. He spun with her and they danced to music he hummed. He led her away from her house, toward the park, and promised her it would be worthwhile to follow him. She giggled, running through mist in her favorite boots with him, his hand holding hers tightly. They passed through a door Stevie had never known existed, and beyond it she found a world beyond her wildest dreams.

There was music, strange music she’d never heard before, laughter came from every corner, everyone grinned, happiness apparent on their faces. This was a world of bedazzlement, free love everywhere, laughter, fun, dancing, feasting, and wine.

Stevie danced the night away, and when she tired a fellow dancer offered her a sip of his wine. Foolishly she accepted. Moments later she found herself ready and able to dance through until dawn. When dawn came, and she asked her partner to show her back to the door, he looked at her…confused.

“Stevie, you can’t leave. You drank the wine. You know that.”

“I…I what? I know what, Devon?” She hadn’t asked his name, but found now that she knew it. “Devon, where are we?”

“The Dark Court. You…Stevie, you knew where we were going, you knew what you were doing, you drank the wine.” He seemed convinced that what he was saying was true, but Stevie hadn’t known any of it.

“Devon, I have a little sister I need to go home to! I need to leave!”

“But…Stevie, this is where you belong.”

“And how do you know that?” She was really pissed now, and she was ready to kill him.

“That’s what I was told. This is where you belong, that’s why I had to go find you. You belong here, you’re one of us.”

“No I’m not. I don’t belong in a faerie court! I belong at home with my sister!” Devon reached out for her hand and guided her down a hall.

“Look, I don’t know why you seem to belong here, but you say you don’t, but I can’t reverse the magic of the wine. Only King Rufus or the Princess can do that. So we’ll go find her and she’ll remove it. I don’t know what happened, Stevie, I really don’t, and if what you’re saying is true…I’m sorry, I really am.”

Stevie followed Devon along twisty halls and through several chambers. They passed symbols on stones, and magic rooms. They hurried down a set of long spiral stairs. At the bottom was a series of portraits that all seemed to be staring back at Stevie. She looked through open doorways and the rooms, magic room, library, antechamber, all seemed eerily familiar. Finally Devon told Stevie they were about to enter the room where the Princess was holding court, dealing with the problems of the court.

“If you want her to help you, let me speak first. I’m a member of the court. If you really don’t belong here, she’ll let you go.” He took a deep breath, “Stand straight.” Stevie straightened her shoulders. Devon reached out and knocked on the door. It opened, and Stevie followed Devon inside. Until that moment she hadn’t realized she was still holding Devon’s hand in hers, and she squeezed it. The room itself wasn’t intimidating, it was four stone walls, and inside was only a table and a chair on one side. When the Princess came into Stevie’s view, Stevie’s lips parted in shock. The curly red hair that fell down the Princess’ back and her silhouette were too familiar.

The Princess turned to them and her mouth dropped open. “Stephanie?”

This is the third part of a several-part story, the first two parts of which are also published on this site.