The Birth of Ithea - A Fictional Creation Myth | Teen Ink

The Birth of Ithea - A Fictional Creation Myth

April 10, 2024
By jupiterbeckett SILVER, Toronto, Ontario
jupiterbeckett SILVER, Toronto, Ontario
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There are beings older than life itself. Anos, Ruler of Space, Tisyn, Ruler of Time, Alina, Ruler of Light, and Zora, Ruler of Darkness. The Great Four. Primordial deities, whose domains stretch across all planes. You may invoke their names in battle, call out for them in prayer, but they will not respond. After all, why should the Primordial Rulers concern themselves with such trivial mortal affairs?

No one knows where The Great Four came from. Some scholars say that even the gods themselves do not know. All we know, is as follows.

At some point, Anos felt a fifth presence in the celestial plane. And from the intertwining of Tisyn and Alina came Cara, One of Love, the oldest of the Ancient Ones.

Many more followed after Cara. Tisyn and Alina begat Ilena, One of Growth, Enera, One of Emotion, Idon, One of Justice, Odis & Otia, Ones of Memory & Myth, and finally, Chaya, One of Life.

Anos and Zora begat Igyn, One of Knowledge, Evis, One of Aesthetic, Anella & Azrena, Ones of Freedom & Fate, and finally, Aklys, One of Death.

As the Ancient Ones matured, so did their duties. How lonely must it be, divine existence with no worshippers? Ilena, child of Tisyn and Alina, was the first of the Ancient Ones to be given the gift of creation. Out of the empty void of space, Ilena formed a planet of growth. Stalks of wood-sorrels as high as mountains crowned the forests, and the fields bloomed with grasses and flowers so tall you could swim through them. From Ilena's divine spark, came the Dryads. The first followers.

Soon the gift of creation was handed to all the Ancient Ones, save for Chaya and Aklys, the youngest Ones. It was not yet their time.

But power corrupts. And creation is a dangerous power to wield. Azrena was the first to fall to this corruption. After all, with the gift of creation and the threads of fate in the palm of their hands, the temptation for more became too much to resist. The control they could exert, the stories they could tell. The lives they could wind and twist and knit — it was exhilarating.

After Azrena, Igyn fell. With the gift of creation and all the planes' knowledge in the palm of their hands, the temptation for more became too much to resist. The control they could exert, the battles they could win. The people they could teach and trick and fool — it was exhilarating.

After Igyn, Evis fell. With the gift of creation and all the beauty of the planes in the palm of their hands, the temptation for more became too much to resist. The control they could exert, the masterpieces they could paint. The vanity and ugliness and disguise — it was exhilarating.

After Evis, Enera fell. With the gift of creation and all the emotions of the planes in the palm of their hands, the temptation for more became too much to resist. The control they could exert, the agony they could bestow. The fear and joy and hope — it was exhilarating.

Ilena was left unharmed, uncorrupted.

Idon was left unharmed, uncorrupted.

Odis was left unharmed, uncorrupted.

Otia was left unharmed, uncorrupted.

Anella was left unharmed, uncorrupted.

Cara was left unharmed.

While the corruption took over the others, Chaya and Aklys found comfort in each-other. Soon, they fell in love.

With encouragement from Cara, and the blessings of The Great Four, they were gifted a joint power of creation. Only with their partnership would this gift work. The Great Four hoped this union would protect the young Ones from corruption, and save them from the fate of the others.

Together, Chaya and Aklys formed their own planet from the empty void of space. They called it “Ithea”, the Celestial word for “together”.

The pair saw how absolute power corrupted the others, and knew they could not do the same. They breathed magic into every living thing on the planet, so that a bit of the divine spark resided within everything and everyone. To celebrate their new relationship, the other Ancient Ones gave the happy couple some of their own divine spark, so that their gifts could live on, uncorrupted and anew.


The author's comments:

“The Birth of Ithea” is the first in a series of fictional mythology about Ithea, a fantasy world I have been building for the last few years. I started to build Ithea after writing a short story, “Art”, which went on to be my first published short story. I am an avid Dungeons & Dragons player, and originally began creating Ithea with the intent to run a campaign within it. For now, I've put that idea aside, and simply enjoy writing new myths and stories for this world I've created.