The End of the World | Teen Ink

The End of the World

15 minutes I thought. I tore through the streets of New York. “Anyone Please, I don't want to die, '' I shouted.  It was November 4th 2024, the day the world was said  to end. I needed to find any signs of life, people walking rushing to work. Kids jumping rope. Cars blaring their horns. . . anything    I had never seen  New York was this  empty.  10 minutes till midnight I said my heart was beating, it felt as if it was going to explode out of my chest. Sweat trickled down my face. I tried to make my tired aching body run  faster. “SOMEONE PLEASE”  I screamed more desperately.  I ran more and more till my body gave out.  “It's no use”, I thought , collapsing on the ground. 5 minutes I thought. I sat on the cold and wet ground, I felt my heart beat slow down, as I wiped the tears off my face.   I watched the minutes go by. I looked around at the deserted streets,  and looked at the time.  2 minutes. “Well world….., you served well”. I looked around again, maybe someone would pop up and save me, and I wound’t disappear.  “3… 2… 1”…. The whole world went dark.   “How many times do I have to tell you, GET UP! I hesitated opening my eyes. “GET UP”!! I  opened my eyes worried about what I might see, but to my surprise when I opened them I saw my mom sitting in the doorway. “Finally you're up you’re  going to be late” Was it all a dream?? I said to myself slowly sitting up. “Hey Mom, what day is it?”. I asked as I was making my bed.   “Oh it's November 4th” “What year”?. I asked hesitantly. “Don’t be ridiculous, it's 2024”. My heart skipped a beat and I froze. “Everything ok”? My mom asked, looking concerned. “Yes” I lied “Everything's just f… f.. Fine.