Red | Teen Ink

Red

March 5, 2024
By hoyt72 BRONZE, Kearney, Missouri
hoyt72 BRONZE, Kearney, Missouri
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Once upon a time there was a girl born into a house of assassins. Her father, who was a cook for the house, tried to keep her from the violence of the guild. The girl grew up learning to fight and to track, wanting to prove to the guild that she could be more than just a cook's daughter. She slowly climbed the ranks as she grew older, passing those who used her as their target throughout her childhood. She became one of the top assassins in the guild.

 I walk down the crowded street, my hood covering my face. People walk from vendor to vendor, enjoying their morning. They step aside as I walk past, avoiding my path. I make my way to the bakery, following my plan. 

Entering the bakery, the smell of bread and pastries fill my nose. Warmth surrounds me, making my cloak almost uncomfortable.  The man behind the counter welcomes me, then continues his conversation with an older woman. I quietly wait until he finishes, walking up to the counter as the woman leaves. 

He smiles at me, “What can I get for you today?”

I answer quietly, asking for various different pastries and baked goods. He hands them to me in a basket and I drop the coins into his hand. 

“Have a good afternoon,” he says and I nod. 

Walking out of the building the chill breeze blows under my hood. I make my way through the small town, ignoring the beggars who beckon from the sides of the street. 

I finally arrive at the edge of the forest, my basket in my hand. I begin to walk when a woman walks up to me. She is dressed in warm leather, a bow slung over her shoulder.

 I slowly move my hand to the knife at my side when she speaks, “There is no need for that child, I come in peace.”

She smirks at me when I don't remove my hand from the knife. 

“Smart. But I only wish to give you a warning,” I take a breath, slightly releasing the knife handle. 

I nod to her and she speaks, “I am not unaware of who and what you are, Red; I came to say to  be wary of these woods.”

“I am aware of what resides here. If you know who I am, you know that I am not so ignorant as to forget the danger.”

“Then allow me to say one thing,” I nod and she continues, “The man you are looking for is indeed arrogant, but he is also unpredictable. He will not hesitate if he sees weakness in you. Do not let him fool you.”

I begin to speak but she has already turned away. I watch as her hair blows in the wind, her steps silent. I don't forget what she tells me as I step into the woods.

A cool breeze hits me as I step into the forest. Vines hang from the branches of the trees, swaying in the wind. I follow the path to the abandoned safe house in the woods, keeping my hand on the handle of my knife. I review my plan as I walk in search of The Wolf. 

As the sun begins to set I hear footsteps somewhere behind me. I listen to them, acting as if I don't hear them and continue along the path. I turn a corner and I see him. The Wolf is a tall and violent man. He is dressed in leather with gray furs accenting it. He smiles at me as I pretend to stumble back.

“Hello dear,” he says “what is a young girl like you doing in the woods?”

My cloak blows in the wind as I respond as sweetly as I can, “I am on my way to my grandmother's to give her these pastries.”

He looks to my basket, excitement filling his eyes, “Well I surely couldn't let you go all alone. A girl shouldn't brave these woods alone, it's much too dangerous.”

I smile sweetly at him, “I wouldn't want to be any trouble, I've walked this path many times.”

He opens his mouth to speak but I cut him off, “Grandmother says not to speak with strangers. So though you seem nice, I must decline.”

He grins, seeming to believe my story, “Of course miss, though I would hurry, the woods aren't safe at night.”

He pretends to tip his hat and then as quick as he came, he disappears. I don't show my smile, knowing he is still watching. I continue along the path towards the house.

Not long after, I make it to the safe house. I open the door expecting to see him waiting already but the room is silent. I check every room, all are empty. I close each window and curtain, making sure The Wolf can't see inside. Though unpredictable, he is not original. If he isn't inside, he will be waiting nearby. I take a seat on the couch and drift off.

Hours later I hear the creaking of the front door as a shadow casts over the room. The floorboards creak as he walks towards the couch, seeing my cloak resting there. I rush to finish my plan, to find a place to hide. I made it to the closet in the hall. As I close the door, it creaks quietly, almost silently. But not quiet enough. I hear his footsteps as The Wolf walks towards the closet door. The darkness surrounds me as I wait.

“You didn't think you could trick me right, Red?”

I make no sound as he says my name.

“That's right, I know who you are, Little Red,¨ I hear as his steps get closer to the closet, “did you think I wasn't aware of your plan?”

I don't say anything, ignoring his remarks. 

“Oh come on, let's talk,” he says, his anger rising.

“Come out Red. Now.”

I hear him pull his knife out of it's sheath. I prepare for the worst.

“One more chance Red, come on out of there, I only want to know who sent you.”

When I don't answer he grabs the door knob, slowly turning it. 

“Fine. Be that way.”

He rips the door open, slamming it against the wall. He takes a step, grinning. 

“Fine, I’ll come out if you want me to so bad,” I say from directly behind him.

He whips his head around, swiping his knife at me, but it's far too late. I drop to the floor, cutting the tendons in his ankle. He falls back, blood rushing from his leg. I quickly cut a long line up his arm as he drops the knife, a wound that will make him bleed out in minutes. The knife slides across the floor, away from his reach.  I smile at him.

“Your arrogance gets the best of you Wolf,” he looks at me with pure hatred in his eyes. 

“You're just a child, you know nothing,” he grinds out.

“Well I know more than you,” I grin, “I know to always check a room before assuming that I have the upper hand. I also know that you shouldn't assume that you’re smarter than the other person.”

He becomes frantic, trying to stop the bleeding but I can from the puddle forming that the blood loss is getting to him.

“I got my name for a reason,” he says, out of breath “I’m a hunter, I will find you Red.”

“Oh no, you won't be leaving here. I got my name for a reason too, Just look at what you're laying in and you'll see why.”

The girl walked out of the house without a scratch on her that day, though blood splattered her clothes. She was awarded a large sum of money for completing her job well, showing all those who doubted her that she was more than some child. 

The girl went on to become one of the most known killers on the continent, creating her own guild, teaching respect and humility, and lived happily ever after.


The author's comments:

A Creative Writing class assignment. It puts a twist on the traditional fairy tale, Red Riding Hood.