Teenage Politicians | Teen Ink

Teenage Politicians

November 4, 2022
By IshaanPalekar BRONZE, Cupertino, California
IshaanPalekar BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The year is 2106, and Children have started to hold political positions. There have been two presidents under 21, 47 congresspeople under 18, and even 7 of the 56 current governors are legally children. Four years ago, a third young president was elected! No matter their age, every person in the USA had a voice in politics, with help from the Youth Manager General. All this is just because of the constitution's 146th, 150th, and 152nd Amendments. "Mike Russ Co." the company behind all of this, convincing the Congress and the House, made a public statement saying: "Everyone will benefit from this; Children can learn how the world works more early, and children will now have a voice in the world."

It was very successful, with a majority of people agreeing about the act, but still, people did disagree with the significant change to society, known as "Anti-Youngsters." These people did not like the many changes that the 19-year-old Jake Williamson made, such as adding the right for children to enter into legally binding contracts, like loans, so that they could pay off debts. The Anti-Youngsters mainly chose to go against this because, in recent years, there has been a big problem of "Sign and Runs" where evil people known as Sign-runners would force children, primarily under ten years, to sign a contract, giving all the assets owned by the child to the Sign-runner. They also went against the bill due to some young politicians making poor decisions, such as giving free money away and even spending their state's budget on video games! 

Even with all this, there were still some imperfections in this concept. Children, especially teens, would abuse their power to get all wealthy and famous on TikTok, remove fundamental state laws, and heck! Some would even attempt to ban school! Other children would be easily fooled by people trying to bribe the Young Politicians to create or appeal laws, such as one Briber said in court: "I work for Burger King at the moment. I attempted to bribe the Young Governor to shut down all McDonald's and Taco Bell's in the state." Some parents of the children would also go crazy with their power in the situation, using their child's political position for their own benefit. Sometimes, opposing adult politicians would use the fact that their opposition is a child to win the elections!

Still, dangerous protesters were attacking people here and there, trying to end this terrible new law. One major and dangerous protester, age 26, Patrick Nelson, was in prison for two days before escaping. He has been charged with attempted murder of the Youth Protector General, who is the person who leads and protects the young politicians.

On a fine evening, over 1/4 the nation was watching a debate between two young presidential candidates, with lots of people in-person at the auditorium, when suddenly, the side door of the stage was demolished by none other than Nelson. Nelson came to the stage, demanding that children should not run for political seats. Nelson then yelled, "I am now the ruler of this land, even as I stand before a terrible, disgusting country, I shall be the best and greatest ruler ever! Now. Who shall rise to be my royal advisor?" Lots of hesitation occurred until a brave soul stood up and confidently walked to the stage. The two candidates tried to leave the stage, but they were picked up by the King and thrown at the crowd, an ample warning for the audience to stay put where they are. Nelson and the new advisor start to dance at a fast tempo and suddenly start floating into the air, breaking the laws of country and physics. They reach the roof and touch the ceiling when the Youth Protector General suddenly comes into the auditorium, talks into a radio, and immediately after a loud bang sound, The King and the Advisor drop dead on the floor, with their bodies laying lifelessly.

The current president takes a look at her phone for the 468th time in the day, mindlessly scrolling on TikTok. She seemed sad. The vice president comes into the room and asks, "Are you sad about something?"

"Yeah, I scrolled past something sad, I can't remember what it was though."


The author's comments:

For my Set Piece, "Teenage Politicians," I chose to mess around and mimic the authors' style. In this case, I am mimicking "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut, and I chose this because this was the most interesting Literary Device out there. You can find this in the Start and end of the story, very similar to Harrison Bergeron. I like that my piece seems normal and happy at the start of this short story, but going to the end, the theme changes, and it gets dark, unusual, and gloomy. I also like how creative I was with this idea, and how  I shaped it around Harrison Bergeron. This piece starts similarly to Harrison Bergeron and Introduces what is happening and the problems. Near the middle, the antagonist is introduced and escapes prison, with the story ending with a very subtle message that Teens should not be political leaders since most teens spend their time mindlessly scrolling on social media, generally only remembering less essential facts.