Two Planets | Teen Ink

Two Planets

September 13, 2022
By vg0302930 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
vg0302930 BRONZE, Pasadena, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

One  billion  years  into  the  future,  lived  two  small  planets.  The  planet  closest  to  a  bright  star  was  ruled  by  a  queen  named,  Queen  Sprinkles.  Everyone  knew  she  was  a  kind-hearted  lady,  she  stood  tall  with  short  hair  and  lit  up  any  room  with  her  bright  smile.  She  let  her  long  pink  and  glittery  gown  trail  behind  her,  not  caring  how  dirty  it  might  end  up.  Her  planet  was  sweet  and  joyful,  colorful  and  sugary,  with  chocolate  oceans  and clouds  made  of  soft  cotton  candy  (imagery).The  queen  kept  her  people  happy,  along  with  her  magical  cupcake  that  helped  the  planet  live  (foreshadow). On  the  other  hand,  the  neighboring  planet  was  ruled  by  a  salty  mean  king,  King  Pepper.  He  had  a  tall,  slim  figure,  with  thick  eyebrows  making  him  look  spooky.  He  wore  a  long,  black  and  old  cloak,  with  small  spikes  at  the  end  of  it.  Unlike  the  queen,  everyone  was  terrified  of   King  Pepper.  The  look  of  his  planet  didn’t  make  his  reputation  any  better  either,  it  was  dark  and  cold  with  strong  black  salty  oceans  and  burnt  popcorn  trees.  The  king  envied  the  queen  and  her  planet  for  being  so  perfect  and  sweet.  He  wished  and  longed  to  have  a  planet  like  hers.  Year  after  year  he  tried  making  his  own  magical  cupcake  but  ended  up  being  a  failure  each  time.

Until  one  night,   King  Pepper  had  enough  and  decided  to  do  the  unthinkable,  steal  the  queens  magical  cupcake  himself.  He  took  a  few  days  to  plan  it out,  after  all,  this would  be  his  biggest  strike  yet,  so  it  had  to  go  perfectly.  To  fit  his  appearance  to  the  queens  planet,  he  decided  to  dress  like  a  gummy  bear.  He  made  his  way  on  his  to  the  queens  planet  on  his  space  craft.  Finally,  he  will  have  what  he’s  always  wanted,  a  perfect  sweet  and  joyful  planet.  Stealing  the  cupcake  was  quite  simple,  after  all  the  queen  had  so  much  faith  and  trust  towards  her  people  that  she  didn’t  bother  to  protect  it  as  much.   The  king  landed  and  made  his  way  over  to  the  gingerbread  house  where  the  queen  kept  the  cupcake.  He  found  it  glowing  bright  pink  with  a  strong  chocolate  scent  being  captured  within  the  cookie  walls.  The  king  grew  a  mischievous  grin  and  snatched  the  cupcake.  The  walls  began  to  shake  and crumble  so  he  held  the  cupcake  tightly  and  ran  out  onto  his  space  craft.  His  gummy  outfit  started  to  melt,  leaving  a  gooey  dark  trail  of  gummy  on  the  licorice  grass  as  he  fled  off to  his  planet.

The  queen  was  clueless,  she  spent  all  afternoon  playing with  her  people  at  Candyland  village.  Until  she  noticed  the  hard  candy  cane  floors  cracking.  The  marshmallow  started  to  burn  and  the  frosting  started  to  melt.  In  a  panic  she  made  her  way  over  to  the  gingerbread  house  and  saw  that  the  cupcake  was  gone  with  only  a  gummy  trail  melted  onto  the  licorice.  The  queen  then  realized  the  only  evil  one  able  to  do  this  was  King  Pepper.  Her  planet  would  start  dying  slowly,  she  was  scared  and  devastated  but  stayed  composed  while  gathering  her  people  to  a  safe  place.  She  decided  to  go  over  and  retrieve  what  is  hers.  Meanwhile  at  the  kings  planet,  the  king  could  not  contain  his excitement.  He  couldn’t  wait  till  he  could  fulfill  the  empty  void,  until  he  heard  the news  that  the  queen  was  going  over,  so  he  frantically  tried  to  get  his  throne  ready  for  the  cupcake.

  As  the  queen  made  landfall,  she  noticed  the  darkness  and  sadness  on  the  planet.  The  people  begged  her  for  safety,  the  kind  queen  was  so  overwhelmed  by  the  people and  had  to get  to  the  king  quickly  but  promised  she  would  come  back  and  help  them. After  all  she  was  known  to  have  a  heart  of  gold  (metaphor).  She  made  her  way  to  the  kings  castle  and  saw  him  through  the  door  crack  placing  the  cupcake  on the  throne.  His  smile  was  as  wide  as  a  rainbow  lollipop  (hyperbole)  and  his eyes  glistened  like  a  pile  of  gold  coins  (simile).  The  queen  went  into  shock  and  froze. She was  too  late  and  only  thought  about  her  planet  dying.  Surprisingly,  the  cupcake  did  nothing  to  change  the  kings  planet  like  it  was  supposed  to,  his  temper  had  completely  damaged  the  planet.

King  pepper  dropped  to  his  knees,  being  yet  again,  a failure.  He  placed  his  palms  on  his  eyes  and  broke  down.  The  queens  heart  shattered,  although  her  planet  could  still  be  saved,  she  knew  the  kings  planet  would  be  devoured  by  the  darkness  and  vanishing  altogether.  She  stood  there  and  thought  about  the  promise  she  made  to  his  people.  So,  she  stepped  in  quietly,  hoping  he  would  return  the  cupcake  in  exchange  of  helping  him  and  his  planet.  She  tapped  on  his  shoulder  and  gave  him  a  subtle  glare. The  king  shamefully  looked  down  and  said, “I  don’t  want  to  admit  it  but  I need  your  help  to  save  my  people  and  this  planet.”  The  king  reached  for  the  cupcake  and  handed  it  to  her.  Queen  Sprinkles  smiled  and  said  “I  will  help  you  save  this  planet  and  yourself.”  Together  they  returned  the  queens  cupcake,  and  her  planet  went  back  to  its  sugary  self.  Afterwards,  the  queen  and  king  spent  time  together, slowly  she  noticed  his  change  of  heart.  Then  one  night,  a glowing  blue  item  fell  from  the  sky  and  onto  the  kings  hands.  Both  smiled  at  each  other  and  realized  the  universe  had  given  the  king  his  very  own  cupcake  to  save  his  planet.  He  sat  it  on  the  throne  with  the  vanilla  scent  covering  the castle  and  watched  as  his  planet  transformed  into  a  child’s  dream.  The  dark  salty  oceans  were  now  milky  oceans  and  the  burnt  popcorn  trees turned  into  caramelized  popcorn  trees.  The  once  depressed  people  were  now  filled  with  joy,  but  most  importantly  King  Pepper  had  found  happiness.           


The author's comments:

This short story reaches the theme of it being okay to ask for help when mostly needed.